Can I remove parts of tiles to extend worktop?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I'm in a new place and my washing machine won't fit under the worktop. The space under the worktop is 59cm and my machine is 60cm so I would like to extend the worktop by 2-3cm.

However there are tiles on the wall where the side panel that holds up the worktop meets the wall so if I am to move the side panel 3cms I would have to remove a 3cm strip of tiles.

I've never worked with tiles before so I was wondering if there is a clean and easy way of doing this please?

Thanks very much for any advice

Sponsored Links
a small angle grinder with quality diamond blade or a rotozip(you maybe can hire one)...and a very steady hand..putt masking tape either side off your cut for direction...

ps what on the floor??..tiles/boards etc...?

Hi tictic, thanks very much for replying and the advice.

I was however hoping to do it without spending much money. I guess I wouldn't be able to do it with a cold chisel and masking tape?

There is basic wooden underfloor on the floor.

Sponsored Links
Hi tictic, thanks very much for replying and the advice.

I was however hoping to do it without spending much money. I guess I wouldn't be able to do it with a cold chisel and masking tape?

There is basic wooden underfloor on the floor.

your welcome GoodGosh... ;)

ok if its dollars saving...
well buy a small tile scribe...google it ok...

then using a straight line(spirit line/wood)...score the tiles 4 to 6 times, then using a drill bit..(depedant on type off tile)...stitch drill below the scribe line you have made,
then use a 4oz pin hammer and tap below the drill holes and the tile "should" crack up to the scribed line then pull peices off etc...

if not to confident can you not sand the floor down some with a planer or sander etc...

best off
tictic

works for me 9/10

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back