Can I Remove This Faux Brick Wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, can I get peoples views on this please. I am looking to remove this faux brick wall. It doesn't seem structural, and the surveyor we had said they didn't believe it was structural and just cosmetic.

The brick material comes off easily and a saw goes through like a knife through butter. It is a very very hollow sound when tapping, like plywood. I plan to cut through it and ensure nothing behind and then remove.

Would other people take another approach, have any concerns doing what I am doing?

IMG-20191213-165736.jpg

IMG-20191213-165754.jpg

IMG-20191213-165756.jpg

Sponsored Links
Looks cool!

I'd question why it's there. Is it a feature to hide a steel beam running over the top of the room?

I'd dig in to the top part first just incase you discover something that makes you change your mind.

I should also add it sounds hollow all over, even at the top of the ceiling.

Looks cool!

I'd question why it's there. Is it a feature to hide a steel beam running over the top of the room?

I'd dig in to the top part first just incase you discover something that makes you change your mind.

Yes, that's a good call. That's what I'll do.. I'll chisel/saw away little by little until I either reach something or am level with the ceiling. Directly above this is my master bedroom which doesn't have a supporting beam or anything....So I am hopeful, I know other houses in the area don't have such beams.... But you never know right.

Sponsored Links
Decorative.

Im not sure what that boxing in is doing up high, the cornice goes in front of it.

Eewww.

Be sure to use enough dynamite so that none of it survives. And use lime in the trench.

I wanted to update everyone - so smashed it down carefully and I think it was just someones bad taste, so nothing structural - all it was hiding was one pipe - which I can box in a lot better....

I am a bit concerned re the waste though, I recently had all the artex walls tested for asbestos which came back negative, but when we were taking down this faux brick wall, my mate asked about asbestos in this material.... I thought the faux brick wall was newer then the ceiling - but it seems like its been there longer than the artex ceiling/walls.

All the waste is currently on the floor, which I will clear up - but obviously if its asbestos I'll get a professional firm to come and tidy up.

I can quickly take a sample and send for analysis to be safe - but wanted to understand if people think I might being too cautious? No idea what the material was. The structure was timbers then plasterboard then the faux brick - which I have no idea of the material.

Pictures attached. Thanks

IMG-20191215-182444.jpg

IMG-20191215-182451.jpg

IMG-20191215-182457.jpg

IMG-20191215-182505.jpg
IMG-20191215-182509.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back