can i rewire / convert a uk lamp for use in USA?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think the title says it all. I have moved to the USA and I have some UK lamps that I would really like to keep. Would it be straightforward to have them converted? What does it take?

Sponsored Links
re-wiring is possible. As the voltage in the states is lower than that in the UK there will be no problems with insulation. There may be a problem with cable size as the current for the same wattage lamp will be double that of the same wattage in the UK.

If the lamp holders are bayonet you may have to change them to screw in as ( from what I recall ) 110 volt bayonet lamps are not easy to buy in the USA.

If you are altering plugs on other items that you take to the states remember that in USA power leads white is NEUTRAL and black is LIVE

As the voltage in the states is lower than that in the UK there will be no problems with insulation.

There may be a problem with cable size as the current for the same wattage lamp will be double that of the same wattage in the UK.
Theoretically true but unlikely to be a problem in practice for an ordinary domestic lamp. The smallest standard UK flex size would be fine for up to 330W on a 110V system.

If the lamp holders are bayonet you may have to change them to screw in as ( from what I recall ) 110 volt bayonet lamps are not easy to buy in the USA.
Lampholders are likely to be an issue indeed. AIUI not only do they not use bayonet in the US, they also use a slightly difference size of edison screw.

So you will have to decide between trying to find replacement lampholders that can be fitted to the lights or importing light bulbs from europe.

If you are altering plugs on other items that you take to the states remember that in USA power leads white is NEUTRAL and black is LIVE
Good information.

this is hugely helpful. I actually have a bayonet to screw converter - it sits in the bayonet fitting but hosts a US bulb.

From a practical perspective, what would I actually need to do to make this work - are you saying I would need to simply change the plug from a UK to a US one? There is no other wiring required? I ask this as the lamps on their based say 240v / 50 v input etc

Sponsored Links
I'd think with the vast majority of domestic lamps changing the plug and fitting a suitable bulb would be fine.

Back