CAN I RUN A TELEVISION FROM A CEILING LIGHT ROSE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI THERE,

Can someone help, Can I run a television from a ceiling light rose. If so, what wiring do I ned to use?

Cheers in advance,

Sponsored Links
But that means wires showing all down the wall to the plug socket which is on the opposite wall. Very MESSY, dont you agree. I hate the thought of trunking all over the bedroom.

life is like that.

do it properly and live, bodge it and..............

Sponsored Links
But can it be done from the ceiling rose? I have been told to mount a 3 pin round plug socket on the wall so nobody goes plugging in power drills and stuff. Is this stupidity or is that true?

let me see, you are in the pub and this bloke says I am an electrician...

that asside, most ceiling lights are in the middle of the ceiling, so if it were true, you would have to have a socket and a plug and trunking, but wait a minute didn't you just say
swaring said:
I hate the thought of trunking all over the bedroom.

give up and plug it in

Shall I tell you exactly what he said. Basically you connect the wire from the ceiling rose up into the loft, drill a small hole back into the bedroom by the wall, mount a 3 pin socket at the top of the wall by the ceiling, so no wires can be seen, mount the tv and plug the 3 pin plug into the 3 pin socket. WALA. Have I answered all your questions, god I thought people were supposed to help you on here!!!!!

I am helping.

my first reply said
breezer said:
plug it in like everyone else does.

you obviously doubt this "electrican" in the pub since you are asking here.

in short, don't do it.

no one is going to say yes, which is what you seem to be looking for.

Well if the muppets on screwfix say it's ok it must be. :rolleyes:

Go for it. I don't know you, so I wont need a day off work for your funeral.

And yes, I am an electrician

In a domestic setup, they are generally used for plugging table lamps etc. into lighting circuits so they can be controlled by the lightswitch as if they were a normal lighting point.

They have not been itended for use as a way to connect a standard appliance to the mains since the 1950s.

They are also commonly used in theatrical lighting installations as the plugs do not contain a fuse.

if you're going to the trouble of cutting into the lighting circuit and fitting a 3 pin socket, then why not just cut into the ring and wire in a proper socket?

By "cut into the ring" I obviously mean doing it properly... making the socket part of the ring not just a spur tapped off with junction box..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back