can I run CW supply in 32mm solvent weld waste?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a supply of stored rainwater.I want to take a supply from the roof outlet (40mm) to use as a grey water supply to my loo. The head of water will be no more than 2m. Is there any reason why I cant run the supply to the isolation valve before the cistern ballvalve in 40/32mm plastic solvent weld.
I would like to do this as it would increase the flow to the cistern balvalve to make up for lack of pressure. Do you think perhaps it may not make any difference anyway whether it was run in 32mm solvent weld or standard 22mm plastic.
Are there higher flowrate ballvalves that allow me to do this?

Sponsored Links
whats wrong with feeding it from the mains cold as normal or your cws tank ?

2m head shouldn't be a problem with 15mm pipe. If your toilet filler was previously fed by mains cold then it may have a pressure/flow restricter fitted (my old one was like a piece of spiral-shaped plastic that sat in the inlet). This would need removing if the refill speed is unsatisfactory.

Do you treat the rainwater in any way? If you leave it to stagnate then it might make your bathroom a little musty...

EDIT: I guess you could use a cistern bleach block, that would prevent any flora developing in your loo. Let us know how you get on.

Sponsored Links
you said going from the gutter to the isolation valve in waste pipe. So where exactly is this stored water supply? or will the stored water be what ever is in the pipe, hope it rains every few hours? Also, just incase you ran out of rain wtaer will there be an alternative to fill the toilet with?

We're hoping to do something similar with grey water from our hydrotherapy equipment, pumped up into a big tank in the loft space. In order that we don't run out of water I was going to fit a low level ball valve or similar, near the bottom of the tank and feed this from the rising main thorough a double check valve to stop any back flow from the grey water.

Is this what the OP should do in case of a dry spell and is it breaking any or many of the water authority rules?

Is there a good choice of valve to be used in a submerged state, most of the time, or is this fundamentally an unsound idea.

Hi,

High risk of cross contamination of water main with a low level ball valve, better off having a ball valve above the water level with a long or extended arm bent down low. Also less chance of a leak!

Sam

To avoid any chance of being accused of breaking water reg rules I would suggest that you should feed the submerged ball valve from a break tank at a higher level with all the correct air gaps.

Your animal recycled water will probably be a Cat 5 liquid as you dont know what your dogs have done in it!

Tony

thanks for the advice, I have stored water contained on a flat roof. I have to come through the roof using a rainwater gutter outlet 65mm and reduce down to a usable pipe size.
I will look at treating the water to stop the smell.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back