Can I split this tap to feed Washing machine and Dishwasher?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, was wondering if it is possible to use an adapter to use this one tap to feed both a dishwasher and a washing machine? Thanks a lot.

Attachments

• IMG_20170205_152726654.jpg
    IMG_20170205_152726654.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 4,965
Sponsored Links
Yes, but from your photo I cannot see if there is enough room.
Do a search for (changed with reference to madrab co ment below)
Brass washing machine Y adapter.
Or
Brass washing machine Y piece

This is what you are looking for (other diy sheds will also have them) but note below that a brass one is recommended):
http://www.screwfix.com/p/washing-machine-y-piece-/81000?kpid=KINASEKPID&cm_mmc=GoogleLocal-_-Datafeed-_-Heating and Plumbing&cm_mmc=Google-_-Product Listing Ads-_-Sales Tracking-_-sales tracking url&gclid=CNqVrtbN-dECFc-c7Qod_o0NZA
Sfk

Last edited:
+1,

only thing I would add is, use a brass appliance Y piece. Not the first time I've had to replace a plastic one that's let go.

shopping

Thanks that is excellent. I think there is enough room if i cut just a bit more space but i guess we'll see. The main thing i wanted to know if it was possible and it looks like it is so thanks.

Sponsored Links
Turn the cold water off. Do you have play in the WM hose? Take off the hose on it just now.

Ideally the copper pipe and washing machine valve would twist clockwise so the outlet of the appliance valve points upwards, the copper pipe should turn quite easily in those hep push fit connectors.

Pop a couple of 22mm snap over pipeclips where the washing machine and dishwasher pipes could come from, just above the valve in that space to the left of the ISO valves, then down onto the y piece. The clips will help support it all and keep it in place.

Turn the cold water off. Do you have play in the WM hose? Take off the hose on it just now.

Ideally the copper pipe and washing machine valve would twist clockwise so the outlet of the appliance valve points upwards, the copper pipe should turn quite easily in those hep push fit connectors.

Pop a couple of 22mm snap over pipeclips where the washing machine and dishwasher pipes could come from, just above the valve in that space to the left of the ISO valves, then down onto the y piece. The clips will help support it all and keep it in place.

Thanks for the much needed walk through, very kind.

As long as you can turn off the water, then all you need to do, is undo the chrome nut holding the existing valve on, pull off the valve, throw away the nut on the new valve, and just fit the double valve onto the existing nut on the pipe. It'll be far stronger than using a brass splitter.

I'd just be careful as none of that pipework is clipped so a double valve with 2 appliance hoses could put a bit of stress on the push fit tee. Clipping the hoses to support them would be recommended and it may be easier having the hoses and Y piece into that gap rather than trying to fit them horizontally onto a double valve within the space you would have.

Where is that white pipe coming from/going to??

I'd just be careful as none of that pipework is clipped so a double valve with 2 appliance hoses could put a bit of stress on the push fit tee. Clipping the hoses to support them would be recommended and it may be easier having the hoses and Y piece into that gap rather than trying to fit them horizontally onto a double valve within the space you would have.

Where is that white pipe coming from/going to??

Thanks dly noted although the simplicity of the solution offered by doggit is appealing. Is there any way in which i can do that option but support the pipe still?

The white pipe is just the waste pipe from the washing machine, it is very movable.

Stupid question i know but where would I turn off the water in a typical victorian terrace? There is a tap to the right of the picture above but I assume that isn't it right?

It might be; turn it off, and then see if the washing machine or the tap works. Otherwise, you'll need to hunt round for the stopcock; worst case scenario, you'll need to turn it off in the street.

Thanks both. I turned it off and then ran the taps, nothing came out. So then i disconnected the washing machine and voila nothing came out of that tap too so it must have been that tap. Brilliant stuff.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back