Can I use a lamp with a circular three prong plug in UK? There is no earth wire to change plug?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a lamp online, when it arrived it had a three prong circular plug. Possibly an Indian plug? I bought a UK plug and when I went to swap it over there is no green earth wire. Could I use an Indian/UK adapter? The lamp is mostly metal and I have children so I'm concerned about possible shocks from the lamp. I'm not sure an electrician would be able to access the wiring to add an earth cable. Before I buy an new lamp I thought I'd ask, thanks.

Sponsored Links
Are you in the UK?

Did you buy it from a UK supplier, or did you import it?

The fact that it was sold to an address in the UK but fitted with a non UK plug strongly suggests the seller is at best un-ethical and at worst is selling dangerously non compliant items on line

Sponsored Links
Regardless of the rules many items are sold online without BS1363 plugs. Don't know what a "three prong circular plug" is but India uses the old BS546 plugs. Regardless it can easily be changed (don't use an adapter, they are often dangerous). The light may not require an earth if it is double insulated. A double insulated symbol is 2 squares inside each other, does it have this?

Pictures of the plug and lamp would be useful.

The light may not require an earth if it is double insulated. A double insulated symbol is 2 squares inside each other, does it have this?

Items bought on line often have symbols claiming that the item is double insulated when a quick inspection finds that the item is not double insulated.

Thanks for all the replys. Please see attached a picture of the lamp and a picture of the plug. I bought the lamp from ebay. I already have one which is from IKEA with the correct plug on it. Ikea stopped making them and I wanted another one for the living room so bought it on ebay and it arrived with this plug. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20211017_135118.jpg
    20211017_135118.jpg
    314.2 KB · Views: 210
  • 20211017_135131.jpg
    20211017_135131.jpg
    350.5 KB · Views: 235
  • 20211017_135133.jpg
    20211017_135133.jpg
    383.8 KB · Views: 225
That is a BS 546 plug, still OK in the UK, and often fitted for use on special sockets with several wired to one switch/dimmer. Just change the plug. As it is a Ikea light I guess it is double insulated and OK.

I’d change the plug.
Look for the double isolated symbol - a small square within a square.
Obviously this isn’t a guarantee that it is actually safe.

There does seem to be an anomaly where the 2016 regulations do not line up with BS 7671
Type of plug and socket-outlet - Rating (amperes) - Applicable British Standard
Fused plugs and shuttered socket-outlets.
2-pole and earth, for a.c. ---------------------- 13 ------------------- BS 1363 (fuses to BS 1362)
Plugs, fused or non-fused, and socket-outlets.
2-pole and earth -------------------------------- 2. 5, 15. 30 ---------BS 546 (fuses, if any, to BS 646)
Plugs, fused or non-fused, and socket-outlets,
protected-type, 2-pole with earthing contact - 5, 15, 30 ----------- BS 196
Plugs and socket-outlets (industrial type) ---- 16, 32. 63, 125 ---- BS EN 60309-2
It is common to use BS 546 for lighting so the socket is switched with the light switch and one can't in error plug in a BS 1363 plug, there is nothing to stop you swapping to BS 1363 the main point in UK is the line and neutral must not be able to be reversed as we only have a fuse in the line, and the MCB in the CU (consumer unit) is much larger than in the EU so German sockets which can be reversed are not permitted.

But that plug is of British design so no real problem. The Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 2016 have been altered and come into force in full next year, in the main it is because no longer in the EU, so UKCA marking now required, but the result of it means hard to be sure if BS 546 is still allowed, as so much seems to be hinged around new markings.

As it is a Ikea light I guess it is double insulated and OK.
Not necessarily so!

Since you have the same model of light which came from Ikea with a BS 1363 plug, I suggest that you check whether that lamp does (or does not) have an Earth wire connected to the Earth pin from the (metal) body of the lamp.
If it does have such an Earth connection, you should provide the same level of protection, by rewiring the lamp with a flexible cable containing an Earth wire to a BS 1363 plug.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back