Can I use parquet flooring with a wood burning stove?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to put a wood floor in my lounge, and have been advised against ordinary solid wood because I have a multifuel stove. I have been told the heat can warp the boards, even though I have a fairly large hearth.

Does the same apply to parquet, which is stuck down rather than clicked together? I would prefer to avoid engineered if possible (I have it elsewhere in my house and like it, but it isn't as tough. As the front room gets a lot of use and I want something that will last decades)

Sponsored Links
Have you looked at Amtico or Karndean parquet. Will last 30 odd years if laid correct an looked after

Engineered and Solid Wood are both as hardwearing as each other. You 'may' be able to sand solid wood more times than engineered(depending on the comparable height above the joint compared to a chosen Engineered) if you are that way inclined, but there's not a difference in 'wear'. Engineered will be more stable and correctly fitted, less issue with movement than a solid or fully stuck parquet floor.

If you prefer the look of parquet, that's a different issue.

Sponsored Links
Thanks crazydaze. The joiner I was intending to use told me that I would have to 'take good care' of engineered as it was easily damaged. It's good to know that this isn't the case!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back