Can I use passive splitters on a quattro LNB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a quattro LNB feeding a multiswitch. Can I use passive splitters on the VL, VH, HL, HH cables. I want to connect a Sat>IP server which only exposes all eight of its tuners when its connected to a quattro but while testing I need to keep the multiswitch in service.

If yes anything I need to look out for, frequency etc?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
No, the multiswitch supplies power to the LNB - it's not just a case of signals being received from it.

They do pass power, and that is the problem - you will have power from both the multiswitch and the extra device both attempting to power the same LNB.
Even if that problem is overcome somehow, the signal losses with be huge, and it's unlikely either device will work properly.

Sponsored Links
Yes you can use passive splitters there. Make sure they have power pass on at least one output. It does not matter if power is supplied by both sources as they are isolated with diodes in the splitter. But if you are worried use a splitter with power pass on one leg only.

The loss is not huge, it will be around 4dB for a 2 way splitter. An LNB gain is large on the other hand and 4dB won't be noticed.

@winston1

Thanks that confirms what I suspected.

And it works perfectly in practice. The sat>IP server reports signal level at -37.9dBm FWIW.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back