Can I use this 40mm pipe with solvent fittings?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
This 40mm Floplast pipe is for compression fittings, but am I able to use it with solvent fittings too?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/floplast-push-fit-waste-pipe-white-40mm-x-3m-10-pack/18962

I was using compression fittings, but where the pipe fits to the outlet through the wall it's very tight and im not convinced a compression fittings will hold, so want to use solvent fitting on this bit.

15501551606563122450839392300621.jpg

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks. So, I need specific Floplast weld pipe?

I can use the 40mm weld pipe with compression fittings tgiuft, i.e .bath trap etc? Will all be same brand (Floplast).

Failing that, any suggestions about using compression fittings on this outlet and achieving a tight seal?

Compression fittings will work with any type of material, including the various types of plastic. Solvent welding will only work with ABS and PVC plastics. Compression waste pipe may well be polypropylene, a different type of plastic that will not solvent weld. You need to ascertain what type of plastic that pipe is coming through the wall, or alternatively, replace it with new pipe that can be glued.

Sponsored Links
Thats not entirely true. Although bad practice. Most modern solvent weld glue is a mixture of solvents and epoxy that air dries quickly. It is possible to rough up polypropylene with carbide and as long as its a tight fitting you will get a succesfull and watertight bond. Prime example is wedi dn50 vertical trap into a 2" internal solvent weld street elbow.
But generally its a no!!

Thanks for the replies. I'll try and find out what type of pipe that is.

If that outlet pipe is not solvent friendly and I can't get a decent deal with a compression fitting, whats my best option? Liberal use of ptfe tape and plumbers mate?

Last edited:
Liberal use of ptfe tape and plumbers mate?

No, no, no.

Not required. Compression is fine.

Just about every house in the UK has at least two waste compression joints, on the outlets of the sink and basin traps.

Solvent weld pipe and push fit pipe are slightly different diameters. If a solvent weld fitting is a nice snug fit onto your pipe, it will be fine to solvent weld. If its a loose wobbly fit, then you have polypropylene pipe designed for push fit fittings. Compression fittings will do both types of pipe.

If you can't see the pipe type written on the pipe just try cutting a little off the end...pvc and abs will let you cut off clean shavings...PP will feel waxy and won't give a clean cut.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back