Can I use transformer dimmer switch with normal light...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Just a quick one:

I have a special dimmer switch that operates a light with a transformer, but I now no longer require the light with the transformer and have decided to replace it with a 'normal' light.

The question is, can I use the transformer operable dimmer switch with a standard ceiling light?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
how is the dimmer switch special? what does it say on the back of it? (on the switch mechanism, where the terminals are)

Thanks.

The dimmer switch on the back where the terminals are says:

'For all incandescent lighting circuits, including low voltage transformer circuits.'

Just found out that the dimmer switch is 400w - is this too high?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Yeah, should be OK, then. Do they mention mains voltage halogen? If you use GU10, you may need to derate by 50%.

The dimmer switch doesn't mention halogen and the dimmer switch will be operating x3 40 watt standard light bulbs.

Okay.

The normal light is working with the 400w dimmer switch.

The dimmer switch makes a buzzing noise - which I guess is normal.

The only thing is though, if the light is off, and the dimmer switch is pressed (not turned), there is a slight delay and the light comes on gradually to full brightness (takes about 2 seconds) - is this normal !!!????

Cheers.

yes. many dimmers have soft start technology - this is the delay. It allows them to detect overload before its too late, and extends lamp life.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back