Using a dimmer switch on a wall light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi ,i have puchased a wall light that has a plug fitted to it and a inline transformer dimmer switch.What i would like to do is cut the plug and transformer off it and connect it to the normal lighting circut as a wall light with a 400w one gang dimmer switch as the light switch as you enter the room, but i am unsure whether this would work.
The transformer fitted to the wall light has the following details on it;
220-240v~50/60hz 0.25A
Sec11.4v~eff.5A
Cos 0 =0.98
ta:45'c to 7.5'c

Sponsored Links
it will be good fun if you do.

why isnt there a bang smilie?

your light needs the transformer, cutting it off will be "intereting"

15.gif

It was short notice.

He says "in-line" and also transformer dimmer switch.

Which is it?

But if it is in-line, it won't be a wallwart.

From those markings, it does seem like a tx not a dimmer, but there's no VA rating. Hmmm...

Sponsored Links
It is a KAOYI IN LINE transformer /dimmer switch from IKEA and if it is connected to the lighting circut without the plug, and taking the transformer/dimmer bit off will it work without blowing the bulbs once i connect it to a contactum dimmer switch.

as Brucie would say

"Good game, good game, all you have to do is spot the major difference, you have 30 seconds starting from, now!"

Mossie1 said:
It is a KAOYI IN LINE transformer /dimmer switch

Mossie1 said:
contactum dimmer switch.

clue. its in bold

it is model KLT-6021 TRANSFORMER which has a "built in rotary on/off dimmer switch" . Can anyone tell me if it will work?

Mossie1 said:
it is model KLT-6021 TRANSFORMER which has a "built in rotary on/off dimmer switch" . Can anyone tell me if it will work?

why not read my post above where i quoted you from?

or if you are short sighted

breezer said:
as Brucie would say

"Good game, good game, all you have to do is spot the major difference, you have 30 seconds starting from, now!"

Mossie1 said:
It is a KAOYI IN LINE transformer /dimmer switch

Mossie1 said:
contactum dimmer switch.

clue. its in bold

Mossie1 said:
Can anyone tell me if it will work?

no it won't
The purpose of a transformer is to reduce the voltage from (say) 230vAC mains to (say) 12v low voltage lamp.

If you take the transformer off you will effectively be putting mains voltage through a torch bulb.

It may be entertaining but if you insist on doing it please stand well back when you switch on, and have it pointing away from your face.

do you mean the" transformer" is essential . i thought it was for taking from socket to lighting (5a) and if i take it off and connect it to lights , whats to happen?

Mossie1 said:
do you mean the" transformer" is essential . i thought it was for taking from socket to lighting (5a) and if i take it off and connect it to lights , whats to happen?

Big bang.

Lamp would explode, showering the room in glass.

Fuse would hopefully blow.

I should like to point out, i am not being saracastic with my description (i am with making the text big) but i have done it like this so you, the OP, can figure out for your self what the difference actualy is.

my usual short answer of

"no"

would not have taught you anything

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back