Can my chimney cause leaking in my neighbours ceiling in room underneath their new dormer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
87E26BF3-A58F-453A-91BE-9EA37513628D.jpeg
F5B10A1F-AAC9-4827-868B-B6F8D2FE473F.jpeg
My neighbours have built a dormer 18 months ago, we have a shared chimney stack, they have said that my side of the chimney needs repairing (which I agree with after seeing the photo) and this is causing a leak in their bedroom which is under the dormer but the leak is in the recess to the side of the chimney brest and away from any of the walls? There is no damp on my side at all! Can my chimney be causing their leak, as it makes no sense to me logically! My side is the right of the picture, the damp patch is to the right of their chimney brest. Hope that makes sense!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The whole chimney needs rebuilding not just your half. They
Should also look at the join between the stack and their flat roof. Looks like it might be a problem area

Thank you and I agree, there is also a ridging tile missing that they did not replace when they had the dormer attached.

Both these issues need doing.
My chimney was in a bad state and my neighbours would have water running down their attic wall, had the chimney rebuilt and not heard a peep out of them since so assume the leak has stopped.

Sponsored Links
Lol ! who in the right mind would attach anything new to that stack and not expect to have issues? Inform the people who constructed it to come back and rectify it, If you don't hold these muppets accountable then they will just keep doing it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back