Can rust be removed from this light?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As the title states. See images attached.

- it is a downlight that is used to light our front porch.
- It has a dawn-to-dusk sensor.
- Installed x5 years ago

Can the rust be removed?
It was supposed to be waterproof but it has corroded a little. Is this normal or can it be removed?
Even the two mounts have corroded too.

If I replace it is there a particular brand or type I should buy that is definitely rust resistant? I am considering switching a PIR one for energy savings.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_7763.jpeg
    IMG_7763.jpeg
    627.5 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_7764.jpeg
    IMG_7764.jpeg
    663.1 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_7765.jpeg
    IMG_7765.jpeg
    481.7 KB · Views: 58
Sponsored Links
Yes, easiest and most effective would probably be to take it to a car repair place and ask them to polish and lacquer or powder coat it. If you replace it try and find one in marine grade stainless (316)

When replacing the fixings, use rubber washers and new stainless steel cap nuts

Powder coat it??? Think that's very likely to cost considerably more than replacing it. Waterproof does not mean rust proof. To refresh it give it a rub with some emery cloth, you might get it back to original. As mentioned 316 is the way to go, if you can find one, though bear in mind that stainless means stains less not stain resistant.

The rectangular box looks like it might be galvanised, or painted steel, in which case clean off the rust with as little abrasion as possible (to avoid eroding the plating) and paint it.

The bulb part looks like cheap Chinese stainless. To reduce price and quality, it is often made with 0% nickel, so corrosion resistance is intentionally poor. If it is just light surface corrosion you can rub it off with water or WD40 and a green pan scourer. You can then paint it, if you can be bothered.

I keep a selection of stainless screws and nuts, so if it was me I would replace the rusty ones.

But these things are made cheap to sell cheap, so don't expect it to last a lifetime.

BTW if it has LEDs, the cost of electricity is practically imperceptible, and a PIR will cost more than it saves.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Cheap grade stainless steel will corrode but just at a slower pace than steel. That just needs a rub down with some wire wool and either a coat of lacquer or wipe it over with an oily rag. Personally I would prime it with acid etch primer and then silver wheel paint.

It will soon go rusty again without painting and it ain't worth powder coating. Unless it used to belong to your dear old mum.

Convert/remove the rust then prime and paint it using normal long life exterior paint should be fine..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back