Can somebody ID this screw/bolt fixing for me please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm not good with DIY, I'm putting together a second hand bed frame that i bought my daughter but it has ones of these screw/bolts missing. I don't know what it's called or what to search for but i need to buy a new one. Could somebody help me name it please so i can search for it (see picture).

It has an allen key head, and is self tapping (is that the phrase), i.e it just screws into a wooden hole without any nut on the end.
screw to name.jpg

Sponsored Links
It looks like a fairly typical Ikea type allen wood screw - which performs as you say. That one has a worn head though!
You may have problems getting a screw of that size, but maybe one from a ‘frame fixing’ would serve as a replacement.....obviously you chuck the plastic bit away.
Naturally enough, the screw diameter and length are pretty important.
John :)

Sponsored Links
yeah, they look more like it.

It's this type of thing...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302858655317

Can you measure the length and the "major diameter". The green dimension, not the red...

rootdiameter-jpg.142303

Yes, that seems to be the most similar. I popped into screwfix earlier and was served by a less than helpful assistant who behaved liked he hated his job & would much rather be somewhere else! I don't think he was that impressed that i didn't have a clue what i was asking for and he kind of gave up. Anyway, he had this simple but clever measuring device for measuring the diameter of screws/bolts but didn't tell me what the measurement was. I'll have to pop back in there tomorrow and see if they can do that again for me, hopefully I'll get served by someone different though. If they don't sell them then i can order them on ebay :)

Thanks everyone for your advice, it's appreciated.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
There's always always like that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back