Can someone help identify how my lights are wired? pics here

Asa

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am trying to replaster the kitchen, and the wiring is all over the place.

I am trying to tidy it up a bit, but I am confused about how it is wired.

I have two sets of LED lights A and B, B are in a more recent extension.

I have labelled the wires I have, and done a diagram (i havent included the earths but you get the idea)

where wires 4 and 5 meet is in a really silly place on a doorframe, it has a backbox so probably used to be a switch, but I need to take it out. on one side of the kitchen

I am wondering the following, presumably 4 goes off to the lights... ?

why is the red live the whole time? should it be connected to the red on 5? it is not at the moment and it all works. if i disconnect the blacks from each other, then one set of lights doesnt work.

(i dont need independant control, just all 8 on at the same time.)

at the other side of the kitchen is 1 2 and 3 wires....

is 5 the other end of 1.? or possibly the other end of 3? i am confused!

many thanks for any help identifying things! is there something obvious i should be doing to tidy things up?

Sponsored Links
I am trying to replaster the kitchen, and the wiring is all over the place.
Please note, and this will be especially important if you're removing/moving switches/back-boxes/blanking plates/cables, there are rules about where buried cables may run.

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:walls

People have died because of electric shocks from cables where they should not be. As well as making sure that anything you put in or move etc is OK, as you're replastering now is the time to put right any existing problems.

Also note that you may not bury any new or repositioned cables if the circuit is not RCD protected.

where wires 4 and 5 meet is in a really silly place on a doorframe, it has a backbox so probably used to be a switch, but I need to take it out.
As per above - if there's a cover there which creates a safe zone you may not remove it and leave the cables there.

presumably 4 goes off to the lights... ?
Presumably, but electrical installation by guesswork and assumptions is a Bad Idea.

why is the red live the whole time?
It might not be - what are you using to test it which says it's live? If it's a neon screwdriver or magic wand then these are unreliable and potentially dangerous. You should use a proper 2-pole tester. If you don't already have a multimeter then get one. You're going to need one to help identify cables anyway.

should it be connected to the red on 5? it is not at the moment and it all works.
Then it doesn't need to be connected. If you don't know where it goes you shouldn't connect it.

if i disconnect the blacks from each other, then one set of lights doesnt work.
So therefore that's the L or N for those lights.

at the other side of the kitchen is 1 2 and 3 wires....
Cables. It can get confusing if you refer to cables with more than 1 conductor in them as wires.

is 5 the other end of 1.? or possibly the other end of 3?
ItsAnybodysGuess.jpg

i am confused! ... is there something obvious i should be doing to tidy things up?
You must, by a combination of physically tracing the conductors and continuity tests with a multimeter, positively identify everything.

It will be a good idea for you to know how lighting circuits work. //www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:Lighting

So where are the switches that turn each set of four lights on?
Are they at the same switch plate (2 gang plate) or located separate from each other?

Why the red core conductor is perm live at junction would be hard to say without further investigation, could possible be a redundant part of the circuit that was been left live!

thanks both...

at the moment it is the switch that turns all 8 lights on.

i thought the cable the other side of the room had nothing to do with anything until i disconnected the black wire from it and 1 set of lights didnt work.

Sponsored Links
Could you please do us a favour?

Repost your diagram showing how the lights are connected and where they are switched from.

You said you needed all 8 on but your last post implied you had one switch to do that.

No wonder you are confused, so am I!!

As so often in cases like this, there really is only Plan A or Plan B:

PLAN A:
  • Learn how lighting circuits are wired.
  • Get a multimeter and learn how to use it.
  • Identify which conductors are which at the switches and the light positions.
  • Check for voltage present, circuit continuity, switches working etc.
  • Connect everything up properly.
PLAN B:
  • Get an electrician.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back