Can someone please advise what are these in the wall? (GALV. CAPPING?)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am moving switch (as shown in the picture) from left to right. As I was chasing the wall I have found these metal plates which looks like capping. But not 100% what it is. The middle one does looks like metail cap for cabels but the one in the left and one in the right doesnt have any sockets, switch or lights around it. So not sure what it is. Just to notice that on the right metail thing, its also got what looks like a screw. So not sure what its for.
The wall is an external one.

The problem is that I need to install new switch in the right but I am now facing dilema with how to run the cable with that metail thing in the middle.

Any help is much appricated.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20221013_155819.jpeg
    20221013_155819.jpeg
    483.8 KB · Views: 150
Sponsored Links
ric1982,
your question is for the sparkies forum not the plastering forum. The mods will transfer you.

Sponsored Links
datarebal,
obviously there's conduit in the pic but the important answers are where is the conduit coming from or going to - whats being fed by what from where?
Testing would provide solid answers but possibly the OP has no testing gear?
Sparkies deal with this stuff daily, and could provide answers and tips.

You can’t move that switch to the right as the existing cable from the ceiling will no longer be in a safe zone.

You can’t move that switch to the right as the existing cable from the ceiling will no longer be in a safe zone.
Very constructive.

It's not impossible to move the switch to the right. We would need a bit more info. For instance, would a blanking plate be acceptable where the old switch is? Or can the whole cable drop be re-routed so it goes along to the right within 150mm from the ceiling, then directly down to the new switch position.

There will be a way, there has to be, or nothing would ever get done.

Out of interest, is this a kitchen?

They do look like galv cappings - if you chip a bit more out to the sides you should see where the metal edges fold over against the blockwork - to show the 'top hat' profile that capping has.

Where you can't see any electrical accessories, it's possible capping has been used for some other reason. It's not out of the question that capping has been used for some other reason, such as protection for micro-bore central heating pipes, or something out of the ordinary like that.

If this is a kitchen, could there have been sockets lower down somewhere?

In answer to the other question, to run a cable past these galvanised cappings, you would simply notch into the blockwork behind them, and run the cable behind.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back