Can someone talk me through a stair balustrade replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking at replacing the handrail, spindles and base rail on the staircase at my daughters house. It's a straight run up the stairs and a return on the landing.

She is wanting it done in Ash. I'm also looking at the newel posts and possibly replacing them with the socket dowelled part newel.

Firstly what is the consensus on chopping the existing newel at the top edge of the stringer and replacing with a dowelled new top section. If it's done properly does it retain the rigidity of the original newel.

Then in terms of replacing the rest of the bannister system is there a particular order of installation, and tips or tricks to keep it all true, cutting angles, getting the spindles all true and parallel and making sure the joints are all neat.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I did mine with Richard burbage bits.
Mid50's house and the previous owner had removed all the stair banister.

Burbage did a video (VHS!) at the time - probably on YouTube now.

I replaced the newels

Hard to remember the order but it was easy to do, just take time.

Sponsored Links
No. I went the whole hog

I have dark hardwood newels and banisters with the rest painted white

If doing the same then prime and undercoat the spindles first- it is easier
I also found (at the time) that burbage bits were cheaper for some parts at homebase, hardwood at b and q although I think I did mine when lady di died so a while ago! Just price up the various bits

I also bought a few more spindles and my brother's stairs have missing ones and I didn't want to be in the same position - Sod's law says that I will never use them!

I used a hand mitre saw from wickes for the angles and collected the dust from the hardwood cuts to mix with PVA for any filling . I also used a spare off cut of a newel to make some dowels to hide screws

Measure twice cut once

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back