Can the boiler go above the hot water cylinder?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I currently have a back boiler and am going to get my central heating system replaced soon. I am trying to decide where to put the new boiler (i dont want a combination boiler as its a 4 bedroom house).
I have an airing cupboard upstairs where the hot cyclinder tank is kept - am I able to have the boiler put in the same cupboard (it would have to go above the hot water cyclinder though due to the width of the cupboard)
Or do regulations not allow it to be placed above something?

Sponsored Links
That'll be fine - Just remember that someone will need to be able to get access to it and you will no longer be able to store stuff in the airing cupboard.

And be prepared for a lot of swearing if the engineer who services it drops a screw behind the HW cylinder :eek:

We've all done it :oops: :LOL:

ambercelery said:
Hi

I currently have a back boiler and am going to get my central heating system replaced soon. I am trying to decide where to put the new boiler (i dont want a combination boiler as its a 4 bedroom house).
I have an airing cupboard upstairs where the hot cyclinder tank is kept - am I able to have the boiler put in the same cupboard (it would have to go above the hot water cyclinder though due to the width of the cupboard)
Or do regulations not allow it to be placed above something?

Forget tanks in the loft. Look at the simpler combi route first.

High flow models are available:

Wall mounted:
Alpha CD 50
Glow Worm Extramax
Vaillant 937

Floor mounted:
Viessmann 333
Worcester Bosch 440 Highflow
Vokera
ACV HeatMaster
Atmos Multi
Gledhill Gulfstream
Glow Worm Ultramax
Ideal Istore
Potterton Powermax
..and so on...

Your mains must have enough pressure and flow. Test it. Fill a bucket and what is it in litres/min

* Fit a new larger bore mains water stoptap as these can restrict flow.
* A dedicated 22mm supply to the combi from the stoptap - no tee offs, except the cold to the showers which you take off just before the combi on the combi supply - any pressure variations around the combi will affect the shower too, to prevent serious pressure hot and cold pressure imbalances.
* All other cold supplies are teed of at the stop cock in their own dedicated line, which may be 15mm.

Sponsored Links
Wouldn't go with a combi personally.

I think you are right to decide on some sort of hot water storage.

Remember, if its a 4 bed house with presumably 2-3 washroom, what cylinder capacity are you going to chose? this will determine the height of the cylinder... add this figure + clearance + boiler + clearance to find out the approx. height required.

210 litre cylinders are typically 1500mm high, some cylinders are lower if you chose the type which require a remote expansion vessel.

Your'e using the existing cylinder, I should read more slowly!

why dont you p e e off yer plank

game ower

the poster dont want a combi the bloke has more sense

your user name says it all

bit like mine :LOL:

Doctor Drivel said:
A dedicated 22mm supply to the combi from the stoptap - no tee offs, except the cold to the showers which you take off just before the combi on the combi supply - any pressure variations around the combi will affect the shower too, to prevent serious pressure hot and cold pressure imbalances.
Nonsense.

chrishutt said:
Doctor Drivel said:
A dedicated 22mm supply to the combi from the stoptap - no tee offs, except the cold to the showers which you take off just before the combi on the combi supply - any pressure variations around the combi will affect the shower too, to prevent serious pressure hot and cold pressure imbalances.
Nonsense.

Someone on this thread said the likes of you needs shooting.

It's fine for the OP to want HW storage rather than a combi but the reason ...
I dont want a combination boiler as its a 4 bedroom house
is odd.

The number of bedrooms has no bearing ... I have a fairly large 4 bedroom house with 2 bathrooms, each with a bath and shower + 17 rads all serviced by a WB Highflow 440 no problem whatsoever.

Key factor is ... There's only my wife and I rattling around the place :LOL:

chrishutt said:
Doctor Drivel said:
Nonsense.

A relatives house had a high flow combi that had one 15mm main pipe from the stoptap that snaked around the house serving all the cold taps and the combi was taken off as just like one of the taps. The same for the hot outlet - the shower treated like any other tap. There was a serious problem in one tap robbing the other, with the shower being seriously affected . I changed it to that setup and hey presto all minimised to the point it was not an issue.

Look at a tank/cylinder setup:

* The cylinder has its own dedicated cold supply from the tank.
* the cold taps have their own dedicated supply from the tank.
* the shower mixer has its own dedicated cold supply from the tank.
* the shower mixer has its own dedicated hot supply from the cylinder.

It works well and running a bath doesn't affect the shower.

Now for a mains pressure system:

- replace the cold tap for the cold water tank
- replace the combi or heat bank (thermal store) for the hot water cylinder.

Then turn the system on its side and you have mains pressure system that does pretty well the same.

Get it?

megawatt said:
It's fine for the OP to want HW storage rather than a combi but the reason ...
I dont want a combination boiler as its a 4 bedroom house
is odd.

The number of bedrooms has no bearing ... I have a fairly large 4 bedroom house with 2 bathrooms, each with a bath and shower + 17 rads all serviced by a WB Highflow 440 no problem whatsoever.

Key factor is ... There's only my wife and I rattling around the place :LOL:

With a family the 440 will still do it. The only time you will have problems is when running two simultaneous baths - but that will happen in cylinder setup too.

I ask this question regularly: How often do you run two baths together? Only one has said they have ever done that, and only once.

What is it? 8 to 10 minutes recovery time on a 440 and 6 minutes to fill a bath. So that is a 15 minute wait if two bath are to be wanted near the same time. Even so running two baths will be a round a 10 minute fillup as the combi reverts to around 12 litres/min after exhausting the store.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back