Can these pipes be moved back?

Please tell us that after all the pipework and boiler hanging etc, he spent at least 5 minutes doing "stuff" at the gas meter with a manometer.

Don't know tbh, he came early yesterday and the wife let him in. He was pretty much finished by the time I got back.

Sponsored Links
Well you've lost a week already.

As I said on Page 3, there is very little to be gained by getting a Gas Safe inspection. They can put a rectification notice on your hapless installer but he is clueless. Having seen the job they will no doubt start looking at his work more regularly - but judging by the pushfit and compression fittings, he's a bathroom and kharzi fitter. He might only do one gas job a year, and after GSR have laid into him, that number might reduce.

But in the meantime, you have a potentially dodgy boiler and a baby imminent so I would learn a good lesson, and pay the extra £500. If you can find someone to touch it.

If we were asked we wouldn't want to get involved, you would have to take the boiler off the wall again to be sure and there are too many risks (eg: possible broken boiler pressure relief spigot, missing screws) that would take our time spent beyond the £500.00 value.

Most installers don't want to take on a cowboy half finished can of worms, because it isn't possible to be absolutely certain how far the remedial work will go and therefore be sure of making a margin. For those of you who don't work on the tools, 'margin' is 100% of your salary.
Well you've lost a week already.

As I said on Page 3, there is very little to be gained by getting a Gas Safe inspection. They can put a rectification notice on your hapless installer but he is clueless. Having seen the job they will no doubt start looking at his work more regularly - but judging by the pushfit and compression fittings, he's a bathroom and kharzi fitter. He might only do one gas job a year, and after GSR have laid into him, that number might reduce.

But in the meantime, you have a potentially dodgy boiler and a baby imminent so I would learn a good lesson, and pay the extra £500. If you can find someone to touch it.

If we were asked we wouldn't want to get involved, you would have to take the boiler off the wall again to be sure and there are too many risks (eg: possible broken boiler pressure relief spigot, missing screws) that would take our time spent beyond the £500.00 value.

Most installers don't want to take on a cowboy half finished can of worms, because it isn't possible to be absolutely certain how far the remedial work will go and therefore be sure of making a margin. For those of you who don't work on the tools, 'margin' is 100% of your salary.

It costs what it costs tbh, i just want it to be sorted.

Here this may make you laugh or despair-

He said he is Worcester Bosch approved installer which means I will get an extended 7 year warranty.. Never heard some much bs since Bush and WMDs...

I got involved in rectifying a similar job a couple of years ago.
The customer arranged a gas safe inspection.
We agreed to do the work based on an hourly rate/gas safe visit report and anything else we could find.
I think it came in at around £900 in the end.
But having arranged a follow up visit with the gas safe inspector. Everything obviously had to be correct throughout the whole house.
I would advise you contact this guy whom has been recommended explain your situation, get gas safe to check it over.
You could potentially use this information to claim against the original installer.

Don't be surprised if you struggle to find someone to take the job on.

Sponsored Links
My brother in law had a Worcester Danesmoor external fitted by a Worcester Bosch accredited last year. The firm were also MCS registered and Gas Safe.

They cut the wrong hole in the wall so hacked out a new hole through his boiler casing to match. None of it was installed correctly, from the oiline to the electrics.

Bosch sent a tech to look at it and he said it was the worst install he had ever seen, I've got some of the brother in law's photos on our web site blog to show how wrong a job can go.

Luckily he is near Stoke and we're in Kent so I couldn't take the blame for not offering to install it. Unfortunately, whilst most WB accrediteds do a good job, it isn't guaranteed.

I don't think it can't do any harm to tell them. At least to check if he is actually approved by them.

Would anyone like to comment on what is involved in getting this sort of accreditation?

Fook all. Turn up to a day's listening to them blowing smoke up their own arris and why their box of plastic (sorry OP) is supposed to be the best on the market.

To be fair the last one i went on had some decent hands on time with working boilers.

But to be accredited is purely down to throwing enough boxes at the wall a year. I was on their list, but due to fitting a product for the job, rather than the other way round, they soon booted me off on numbers.

It was not a sad phone call... In fact the rep was surprised that I wasn't overly bothered.

Hey ho.

:D.

It is based on attending a training course on their gas boiler range, and if you are also qualified, LPG and Oil products.

Once you've done this you are awarded warranty lengths according to volumes of boilers fitted each year.

Worcester do chuck installers off for bad work, but in the main, the type of people prepared to take the time off the tools to attend the course are usually the ones who are interested in making a proper job of it.

The problems come when you are a company with ever changing staff; there is only one person that needs to attend the course and they could leave the next day. Who you get under the auspices of a larger firm it is down to a bit of luck.

In the case of our OP, I doubt the bodger involved was the named Worcester Accredited for the company or trading partnership; indeed, he could be a mate from the pub of the WA and gets him to register the job. This way, a scumbag installer gets the warranty and the WA gets his numbers up.

I should point out to the non heating professionals out there that this is common practice across all boiler makes and is difficult to stamp out; it is also not illegal because the Gas Work Notification (Building Regs) can be separately done by the actual site installer who did the bodge.

I may be able to help out this week, I could call out to you FOC and at least check the system over to make sure its safe and if I have the time, Ill maybe get involved and see if I can tidy up the system and pipework, again I wont charge you, my apprentice could have done a better job, mind you he is in his thirties now!! how time flys, I haven't managed to read the whole thread through yet, but I think so far, what I have read is shocking and this cannot go on!
I don't really know how this works but if you can PM me, just do that, I would like to help.
Cheers Joe

I would personally be careful naming and shaming just yet in case it end up in court although I'd love to know who it was.

Is it safe to use for now? Probably from what we can see.

I wouldn't try to tidy it up I'd just reinstall it properly from scratch :(

And if you can't get the money back give the oxygen thief a kick in the bo110cks from all of us

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back