Can these pipes be moved back?

image.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links

Maybe someone who is actually familiar with this model of boiler can comment, but....

I think that the pressure relief outlet is just to the left of the right-most copper pipe coming out of the bottom of the boiler. In the photo I can see something metal that points backwards towards the tiles. Does that actually go through a hole in the tiles and appear outside? Or is it just left pointing at the tiles?

It is pointing at the tiles...

Oh great!!

OK, so that is where superheated steam and scalding water will come from if the boiler overheats and it is supposed to go through the wall.

I imagine that Gas Safe will find that interesting.

I think you should assume that it is all unsafe; turn off the electricity (I'm not sure where; you don't seem to have a switch on the electrical outlet) and the gas (at the meter if you don't have any other gas appliances; if you have a gas cooker then turn it off where the gas pipe enters the boiler). Then get a proper installer to come and re-do it all. As they work, take photos of every bodge that you find and write down a list of all the faults.

Fork me it gets worse. How did this a7se bandit think he would escape a gas safe inspection?

I know your instinct is to get this fixed ASAP. But I would be getting on the blower to GS on Monday morning and try to escalate a complaint. It is not only concerning that we have found this for you who have paid in good faith....but imagine how many other people have been bent over by him!?

Then get a proper installer to come and re-do it all. As they work, take photos of every bodge that you find and write down a list of all the faults.

You would think that this is the correct course of action... btu I would be getting it confirmed by GS in writing that they won't prejudice the investigation once the faults have been rectified prior to their visit.

I had a terrible case in Letchworth that I had to take immediate action on for the sake of the young family living there.

Because I had removed the immediate danger the installer was effectively let off Scot free. As the customer refused to let their knob jockey installer back (most would say understandably), and we had removed the immediate danger, the customer was forced to pay for all the remedial works, which by the time the new gas meter connection is made will be well into 5 figures and decide whether to pursue say cluster funk through the small claims court under breach of contract.

Yes, what to do now does depend on how urgently you need the boiler to function versus how much appetite you have for legal / regulatory intervention.

My thought about safety is that we haven't seen inside the boiler. The faults we can see are mostly bodges and not immediately dangerous. But they are such terrible bodges that I have no confidence about this bastard's ability to do anything right, i.e. there could be more hidden defects that really are dangerous.

I will contact Gas Safe but as you can appreciate with the missus being pregnant I don't exactly want to be taking risks by using an unsafe boiler...

How long would Gas Safe take to come out re a complaint? It's its weeks then it's too long tbh as I will need to get it sorted before then.

They can move pretty quick when the mood takes them. I find it hard to believe a joker like this doesn't have "form" with them.

I certainly think you are justified in naming an shaming.

Well you've lost a week already.

As I said on Page 3, there is very little to be gained by getting a Gas Safe inspection. They can put a rectification notice on your hapless installer but he is clueless. Having seen the job they will no doubt start looking at his work more regularly - but judging by the pushfit and compression fittings, he's a bathroom and kharzi fitter. He might only do one gas job a year, and after GSR have laid into him, that number might reduce.

But in the meantime, you have a potentially dodgy boiler and a baby imminent so I would learn a good lesson, and pay the extra £500. If you can find someone to touch it.

If we were asked we wouldn't want to get involved, you would have to take the boiler off the wall again to be sure and there are too many risks (eg: possible broken boiler pressure relief spigot, missing screws) that would take our time spent beyond the £500.00 value.

Most installers don't want to take on a cowboy half finished can of worms, because it isn't possible to be absolutely certain how far the remedial work will go and therefore be sure of making a margin. For those of you who don't work on the tools, 'margin' is 100% of your salary.

Please tell us that after all the pipework and boiler hanging etc, he spent at least 5 minutes doing "stuff" at the gas meter with a manometer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back