Can these pipes be moved back?

Pretty feckin depressed to be honest. Have requested a Gas Safe inspection. Have also e mailed the installer to come and resolve said issues. Let's see what happens..

Sponsored Links
We may be taking the pish a little, but don't take it too much to heart. Get Gas Safe round. They'll only be interested in Gas reg stuff not workmanship, but it'll at least make you sure of your safety.

Sadly on workmanship issues this comes down to contractual law and Gas Safe are useless.

Pretty feckin depressed to be honest. Have requested a Gas Safe inspection. Have also e mailed the installer to come and resolve said issues. Let's see what happens..

Sorry Homer, we are not out to depress you mate. Good luck with getting the installer back and the issues resolved. I am guessing that you are probably quite young and this is one of your first major projects on your house. We have (mostly),all been there at some time or other and eventually learn but it can be a painful lesson in life. Good luck for the future and hopefully you will be able to put this down to inexperience.

For the future, how should you pick a good hearing engineer? If rated people isn't up to much and Gas Safe doesn't meant a lot how are you meant to know if the person is reputable or not?

Sponsored Links
Those ratings companies are thy the last place to start.

Friends, neighbour recommended first.

Ask for references or samples of recent works.

Get 4 or so quotes.

Throw away the cheapest and unless mine, the most expensive.

However remember to compare apples with apples. If cheap is quoting a Biasi, and expensive is quoting an Atag with OT controls and FHR, then you are dealing with two very different companies. Some of us believe in going that but further and it costs.

Gas Safe and Manufacturer accreditation mean nothing.

A new boiler is a 15 year investment.

Ok thanks. Don't know if this matters or not but he has used the old flue from what I gather...

Totally illegal to use an old flue. Gas Safe hopefully will bend him over.

Couple of good guys in Edinburgh. I'll put a link in our secret section here.

I will post pictures tonight of the boiler and surrounding pipe work. The guy says he will come back to rectify any issues and he says he has bought a support for the filter.. Problem is my faith in this guys ability is shattered somewhat.. Should I just call a company like British Gas to come out and have a look? How much would something like that cost?

Let the guy come back.

If you refuse him the opportunity, you hobble Gas Safe's ability to help you.

It is not as if he can make the situation worse.

If he has used the existing flue that is a no no , just call gas safe for a free inspection and take it from there , Maybe he was pi55ed when he done the job

Good grief what a mess. And there was I, sometimes thinking to myself in the middle of a difficult install, that a Really Good installer would have done it neater. Now I can hold my head high and be proud of my plumbing. At least I know which way is up, how to solder end feeds, and I can read and follow installation instructions. I've never come across a filter that you can install horizontally. Well I suppose it is possible, but it won't work properly, and how are you going to get the magnet out without spilling gunge all over the cream carpet?
Given that this isn't Nigeria where you can obviously just pass some 'dash' over to the examiner, how did this installer pass the GSR test and get work? Must be just the cheapest quote.
Mind you, passing the GSR tests is just theory, you don't have to be able to solder or drill a hole in a wall or know how to do up nuts without cross-threading them.

How should that filter look when attached? What's the solution here folks? If the guy can't install a filter how can I trust him to be competent to rectify the situation?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back