Can these pipes be moved back?

If he has used the existing flue like you have suggested, the position of the filter really is the last thing to worry about, I've never known of any gas safe registered installer to even consider doing that, or one who can't use solder copper fittings! From the few pictures you have provided it's clear this idiot should stick to playing with Lego in his own time!
What boiler was fitted and how much did you pay?

Sponsored Links
Worcester Bosch 32cdi. Obviously overpaid for the job that has been done. Am really confused on what to do to be honest. Just want the job done right. How can a gas safe installer not know such basics is beyond me

Sponsored Links
I'm a bit surprised by the choice of fittings he has used??? Not too shocked by the workmanship, there's loads of course Cowboys & chancers around. Perhaps I can help? Please PM me.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Are compression fittings allowed on gas pipework ?

And even if they are then the dummer should have at least cleaned the corrosion of the existing pipe before making the joint to it.

Has he used compression on the gas pipes inside the house ?

I would name and shame him to Trading Standards

Back to the picture of the top of the flue, is that white blob to the right daylight from outside?

Tony

Sadly for you, and for us, Gas Safe Registration does not guarantee any practical ability.

It's sad for you because the job is lousy, the chap doing it was both hamfisted and couldn't give a damn (just the sealant round the pipe entry shows this).

It's sad for the installation trade because one or more of us has lost a morning's work quoting for this job, only for us to be rejected in favour of a dodgy tradesman.

Gas Safe are unlikely to be much help as the flue has screws in it and the compression joints are perfectly allowable if they are accessible. In other words, their inspector would be dismayed but wouldn't have enough to enforce upgrades of the general installation.

You will find Trading Standards useless too.

We have had people like this apply for jobs with us in the last decade when gas installers wanted £40Kpa to turn up - and believe me, they can't learn or be rehabilitated, because we've tried. If they were happy to leave this mess on Day 1, any further work will be awful. Contrary to the common advice, don't get him back.

My advice would be to put it down to experience and pay someone else to put it right. Preferably someone sober and not as high as a kite.

It was a really old boiler that was taken out, from 1995- can't even remember the name tbh.

And even if they are then the dummer should have at least cleaned the corrosion of the existing pipe before making the joint to it.

Can you explain your point?

It doesn't really help the OP's case if you raise spurious defects, he doesn't know you don't have the qualifications to judge.

Can you explain your point?

It doesn't really help the OP's case if you raise spurious defects, he doesn't know you don't have the qualifications to judge

Yeah, there are plenty of proper defects to be getting on with.

Wow.... ! The boilers not even straight on the bloody wall!
So looking at the picture you took, underneath the boiler inside the cupboard, he's tied the filter to the gas pipe ( with the 22 comp elbow )

Surely gas safe will do something about this?
They soon jumped on me over something ridiculous ! :mad:

he doesn't know you don't have the qualifications to judge.
You are right, I do not have the qualifications to judge, but I do have the experience to see when a bodger has been at work. Yes I realise now that compression joints may be used on gas pipes when the joint is accessible BUT solder jpoints are ( according to the three GasSafe registered gas fitters I am friendly with ) prefered.
And is copper oxide dust a gas tight material ? It isn't when dealing with compressed air.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back