Can these pipes be moved back?

Flue collars are the wrong way to! That has to be the worst I've seen for a while, sorry you got ripped off!! And a worcester to boot!

Good luck with it.

Plumbers/ gas fitters on this thread, is this the consequence of 6 week courses for anyone with enough £££. If this is the way it's going, it's gonna get a lot more dangerous out there! :eek:(n)

Our trade is totally undermined & undervalued, as soon as our Government started paying for ex-armed forces guys to do Mickey Mouse cowboy courses - the trade was f.cked!!! I firmly blame our trade associations for this, they should've acted sooner.
As a bit of poetic justice though, most course Cowboys don't last 5 minutes on sites & can be spotted a mile away. Unfortunately, they end up self-employed & ripping off the poor unsuspecting general public.

Sponsored Links
No offence but I'm actually struggling to believe this isn't a wind up. If it's kosher it all needs ripping out and refitting from scratch by a competent fitter, you can at least reuse the boiler...............

Even if it's a woofter :ROFLMAO:

Hmmmmmm.......Glasgow wind-up??? Gosh, I wonder it couldn't could it?????

Flue collars are the wrong way to! That has to be the worst I've seen for a while, sorry you got ripped off!! And a worcester to boot!

Good luck with it.

Plumbers/ gas fitters on this thread, is this the consequence of 6 week courses for anyone with enough £££. If this is the way it's going, it's gonna get a lot more dangerous out there! :eek:(n)

Our trade is totally undermined & undervalued, as soon as our Government started paying for ex-armed forces guys to do Mickey Mouse cowboy courses - the trade was f.cked!!! I firmly blame our trade associations for this, they should've acted sooner.
As a bit of poetic justice though, most course Cowboys don't last 5 minutes on sites & can be spotted a mile away. Unfortunately, they end up self-employed & ripping off the poor unsuspecting general public.

I Had a guy work for me, told me he was qualified. On the very first day, the way he soldered, I had to ask where he'd studied. Yup 6 week course! :confused:
Only positive I can see is, give it 5 years and we'll be taking our pick of which ba lls up to rip out and sort first :D

Sponsored Links
Contrary to the common advice, don't get him back.

If the OP doesn't let him address the defects then it comes down to contractual law and much harder to get recompense.

My advice would be to put it down to experience and pay someone else to put it right.

Of course you may be right here.... this has to be the OP's choice once informed of the options.

Preferably someone sober and not as high as a kite.

Indeed - check for the smell of Bucky before letting the across the threshold.

The system is a farce.

Good luck with it.

I can verify this comment.

Live in a rented property and had a smell of bad eggs around the boiler,(Myson Apollo), a few weeks ago. Management company were dithering so I called BG. Within an hour they had sent an engineer who capped off the meter and said the boiler needed looking at urgently. Blew a fuse with the management company and told them to get someone out pronto as two of the tenants are disabled, (not that that should make any difference). They sent the 'usual' plumber/fitter round at 6.00pm that night. He proceeded to take the boiler apart, fiddle around and then put it back together and declared it safe.

Next morning, Saturday, we couldn't get the boiler to light so had no heating or hot water over the weekend. Monday morning we had a Gassafe engineer coming to do a landlord safety check. Told him we couldn't get the boiler to light and after a quick inspection he condemned it and put a large sticker on it prohibiting its use. Had a new boiler and flue installed by the end of that week.

The 'usual' plumber, who fiddled around and declared it safe is ex-military and self employed. I have told the management company I don't want him anywhere near this house again whilst I am a tenant and put in a formal complaint about his work to the management company. (Have had previous issues over his work before but they have been water related).

Update- I have contacted Gas Safe via e mail this time to advise I have serious concerns and would be grateful for an inspection. The heating engineer, although that title does not sound appropriate for this guy, has said he will be round tomorrow to fix said issues. I shall post updated pictures once he has been round.

So,
apart from a cable touching the gas pipe,
screws missing from FCUs,
no isolating switch,
boiler not mounted level,
filling key left in,
magnaclean not mounted the right way up,
flue not sealed,
gas pipe not clipped properly,
and appalling workmanship, everything seems to be ok!

And that's just from a quick glance at the piccies, I daren't even ask if the system was cleaned properly:mad:

Gas safe have e mailed back. They won't come out unless I make a complaint. I am going to wait until after hearing engineer has been tomorrow and see if I am happy with his solutions first before doing so. Also should all the pipes be clipped to the walls?

I e mailed him to say the filter should be fitted vertically. He has replied saying he will do this but they can be fitted any way but upside down he says....

Gas Safe also entitle you to a free inspection once the installer has registered the boler installation which he should do for you as part of his registration.

Think you should take them up on that offer when it arrives. Which is week or two after he registers the installation.

Ask him when he will be completing the "gas work notification"?

They will, once he's registered the installation, send you a Gas Work Notification/.Building Compliance certificate.

The accompanying letter offers this free inspection.

He has to register the installation with Gas Safe for this to occur though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back