Can this be easily fixed?

It's hard to show in pictures but every corner is curved inwards. The best way I can explain it is if I lay a straight edge in the middle of the wall from the corner out to two feet away there's a dip of up to about 5mm until it straightens out again. The corners between the ceiling and the walls are the same - and inconsistent.

I wasn't looking for something beyond the laws of physics here but just something that looks square and straight. He seemed like an amiable guy but with only one room done after 10 days and turning up at midday, leaving at midday on other days, and not turning up some days either, with record number of unfortunate excuses for all of these non-appearances I gave him as much leeway as anyone but his mother.

Anyway - he didn't want to discuss it and stormed off in a huff with all his gear.

The problem I have now is how to find another one who won't **** about and leave me after 10 days with a sixth of the job done.

Sponsored Links
If the walls are bowed then that is down to the original lime plasterers.

I'd get them back if I were you.

BTW, do you have OCD? You seem to be unusually critical about stuff that really doesn't matter.

You need it all over-boarding. Then it'll look flat and soulless like a new build.

You've bought the wrong house for you. You needed a plasterboarded new build.

It's hard to show in pictures but every corner is curved inwards. The best way I can explain it is if I lay a straight edge in the middle of the wall from the corner out to two feet away there's a dip of up to about 5mm until it straightens out again. The corners between the ceiling and the walls are the same - and inconsistent.

I wasn't looking for something beyond the laws of physics here but just something that looks square and straight. He seemed like an amiable guy but with only one room done after 10 days and turning up at midday, leaving at midday on other days, and not turning up some days either, with record number of unfortunate excuses .

Ok, what you describe is no way acceptable as a finish.
If the skim alone can't bring it to the accuracy you want, he should have made you aware and explored the other options with you.
I would be aware though, when laying a straight edge to a wall, you should see a reasonable level (but it won't be perfect).
It will rarely (if ever?) be exact, but I recall less than 3mm? should be the limit (I think I remember this figure being discussed in a post a long time ago).
I also think that if you put a straight edge up when your pro is there to show him, it is not likely to go down well.

In terms of his finishing/starting at midday, he may well have had two jobs on the go and bitten off too much - rather than being lazy.
He may not have wanted to come clean about this, in case it was detrimental.

I'm sure you will find one that does a better job, just don't pick on price alone.... 3 quotes against a written spec of your needs. Use recommended plasterers from friends, family, colleagues, other tradesman recommendation, trusted trader type websites maybe.
Good luck.

Sponsored Links
If the walls are bowed then that is down to the original lime plasterers.

I'd get them back if I were you.

BTW, do you have OCD? You seem to be unusually critical about stuff that really doesn't matter.

You need it all over-boarding. Then it'll look flat and soulless like a new build.

You've bought the wrong house for you. You needed a plasterboarded new build.

Joe - some of the p/board new builds I see are much worse than that!! :D

A bag (or two) of bonding would ease all the angles and lines so that they don't cath your eye.

I think the OP is quite clear on what was agreed and expected.

I'm surprised that anyone would think that kind of work is acceptable.

It's dreadful.

All of the pics are full of fat, it's just appalling

At the risk of abuse here from Micilin, RC et al....

I can see pic #2 is seriously poor, but from pics 1 and 3, there looks some fat - but is that level considered heavy?
From 1 & 3, as a skim it does seem to look reasonably smooth in the main? we have seen far worse on this forum!
Maybe it's difficult to tell from the pics at distance, and if I saw it for real, would no way think it any way acceptable.

I can understand the OP being unhappy if they wanted square and nothing was done to address this.

I agree, We have seen similar in terms of fat, but that is usually from people who are learning or having a go, and that is part off the learning process. As you progress you learn to eliminate or minimise this.I would not slate a learner for that, but would offer advice on it if asked.

Not acceptable though from a professional ie someone charging £400 a room.

Also a bit of fat might be acceptable if the walls are generally well finished, but here in this case this is another indicator of a chancer.

i agree with micilin nothing in that room is going to be straight but you can create an illusion of it being straight by straightening the edges up with bonding before another reskim then twitch the angles in to give nice clean lines if anything is unduly out of whack it will have to be scraped back

If you start putting bonding over that skim you'll make a complete mess. Either hack the lot off and start again or use fresh beading and reskim. It isn't sortable like you are saying.

Ohh Joe, c'mon,,, how will it make a mess?? If that abortion of a skim coat is well bonded to the wall, it would be simple to seal it/pva, then put on a coat of bonding to straighten the angles and make the wall look good to the eye, then skim with multi finish. I wouldn't hack it off and start again unless it was blown/falling to bits.

It would be too thick and ugly by that time. Remember, the customer has a thing about straight edges. Near enough isn't good enough. Strip the lot and board it out. It'll look **** but that's what he wants.

Well,, we'll agree to disagree, but i'll tell you what Joe, i'm so glad to see you back on these forums big time. I was beginning to think you were unwell or something and had left.

My old man always says a tradesman 'can make bad work look good' :D

I'd love to have a go at it but the travel expenses might be a deal breaker :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back