can we use timers on oil filled radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hiya,
i need some advice, i bought a timer to use for oil filled radiator in the kids room but i haven't been sucesfful. i started thinking that timers are not for oil filled radiators. any ideas please and if you think that timer might work , shall i leave radiator on 0 or 1. i tried both with no luck.many thanks

Sponsored Links
Quite acceptable to use a timer switch for your oil-filled radiator - a lot of them come with a built-in timer. The radiator is on at the I position, and off at the 0 position.

Does the radiator work properly without the time switch? If it does, then the time switch is faulty or you've set it up wrong. Does the tiem switch work on other items? Try it on a table lamp, for instance.

Does the socket it's all plugged in to work? Try the table lamp trick again.

Report back when you've tried all this and we'll have some more info to go on.

PJ

thanks for replying. the radiator works fine and it has 0,I, II,III settings. thats why im not sure on which setting i should leave it when plug timer. and now i'll try timer with lamp to make sure it works. ta.

Quite acceptable to use a timer switch for your oil-filled radiator - a lot of them come with a built-in timer. The radiator is on at the I position, and off at the 0 position.

Does the radiator work properly without the time switch? If it does, then the time switch is faulty or you've set it up wrong. Does the tiem switch work on other items? Try it on a table lamp, for instance.

Does the socket it's all plugged in to work? Try the table lamp trick again.

Report back when you've tried all this and we'll have some more info to go on.

PJ

Sponsored Links
Make sure your chosen timer is suitable for the load. 'Heating' timers may be limited to about 3 Amps, as they are just intended to switch the pump and boiler of a central heating system. Not a lot of good if your radiator is rated at, say, 2 Kilowatts, as that's about 8 or 9 Amps.

Timers intended for immersion heaters and other heavier loads are usually rated at 13 Amps, that's about 3 Kilowatts.

Timers have 'line' and 'load' connections - reversing them stops the timer running as soon as it switches off, meaning it won't re-start without manual intervention.

the radiator works fine and it has 0,I, II,III settings. thats why im not sure on which setting i should leave it when plug timer.
I, II or III, depending on how much heat you want it to produce when it's on.

hi, i've just found that on the back of timer says Not recommended for use on Immersion Heaters!
so does it mean i can't use it on oil radiators???

Make sure your chosen timer is suitable for the load. 'Heating' timers may be limited to about 3 Amps, as they are just intended to switch the pump and boiler of a central heating system. Not a lot of good if your radiator is rated at, say, 2 Kilowatts, as that's about 8 or 9 Amps.

Timers intended for immersion heaters and other heavier loads are usually rated at 13 Amps, that's about 3 Kilowatts.

Timers have 'line' and 'load' connections - reversing them stops the timer running as soon as it switches off, meaning it won't re-start without manual intervention.

Does it say anywhere what load it is rated for?

And somewhere on the heater there should be a small plate saying what load it is.

on radiator says 220-240v - 50 HZ, I 800 W, II 1200 W, III 2000W.
on timer maximum wattage 3200w reisitive load, maximum wattage 480w inductive load, maximum current 13 (2) amp .thanks

Does it say anywhere what load it is rated for?

And somewhere on the heater there should be a small plate saying what load it is.

I'd say buy a decent brand timer, but I dont think such a beast exists.

What exactly is wrong anyway? You jsut say you have been unsuccessful. Is it not coming on? Is it staying on constant?

You CAN use plug in timers with plug in heaters - yours is rated to 3.2kw, which is the limit for plug in devices. You you can use it for anything plug-in.

Is the timer digital or analogue with "notches" that you push in to turn on?

Are you confident you know how to set the timings?

timer has notches, i set the time correctly and then ive checked its not coming on, its not getting the heater to heat at all.
i'll try again.

I'd say buy a decent brand timer, but I dont think such a beast exists.

What exactly is wrong anyway? You jsut say you have been unsuccessful. Is it not coming on? Is it staying on constant?

You CAN use plug in timers with plug in heaters - yours is rated to 3.2kw, which is the limit for plug in devices. You you can use it for anything plug-in.

Is the timer digital or analogue with "notches" that you push in to turn on?

Are you confident you know how to set the timings?

Probably asking the obvious here but at the side of the timer is there a 0 and 1.
Sometimes you have to set the timer to on, or timed.
As above, try it with a lamp or radio etc, if your not having much luck take it back to shop for exchange, you can pick them up for a couple of quid in the supermarkets.

Also, try manually turning the clock face round to see if the heater clicks on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back