Can wireless parts on same frequency be paired with other brands?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a bunch of wireless alarm sensors left over from low cost DIY alarms that had to be replaced. You might know the sort of Chinese made alarms that you get on eBay. A lot of them operate on the same frequency, but I have no idea how they actually communicate over that frequency or if there's any kind of inter-manufacturer standard that they follow. Is there any chance a wireless sensor or remote could be paired with an alarm unit from another manufacturer? If not I'll probably chuck them all, though it would be a shame as some of the sensors, like the wireless smoke detector wasn't all that cheap.

Sponsored Links
Is there any chance a wireless sensor or remote could be paired with an alarm unit from another manufacturer?

Only if the sensor was designed to be a generic device and came instructions how to set up it's communication protocol to work with a panel from a different manufacturer.

Sponsored Links
flog it on ebay if anything.

wireless devices communicate via a protocol specific to the panel only. Texecom Ricochet for example have other manufacturers using the ricochet technology for some of their detectors but these will on work on ricochet panels/ ricochet expansion module subject to firmware version.

hard wired devices don't use protocols so in general will work on any panel that accepts normally closed, some detectors use resistors and only panels that can read those resistor values would be compatible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back