Can you clear this one up for me?

Sponsored Links
how can a fishtail key be considered a special tool? I have one on the keys for the shop. So, i expect, do many shops and businesses.

crafty, i dont know really, quote i posted is from 5839-1 2002 maybe they think people with these keys are responsible? joe public normally dont have them so i guess they are rare in real terms. ask all your friends and relatives bet most wont even have heard of or seen one.

I am reasonably certain that I've seen "secret-key" Masterseal switches in B&Q....

Sponsored Links
and i've bought a pack of assorted screwdriver bits for tamper proof screws in maplin.

fact is if your troublemaking is premeditated and you know what to look for you can get practically any tool you wan't but afaict most ordinary vandals don't plan like that.

you can get FCUs designed to resist use of normal screwdrivers, i belive MK do one.

also note that the regs entry only says should not must.

I'm thinking the spirit of the regulation is so it can't be accidentally switched off, whereas a bog standard switched fused spur unit can be accidenatally knocked off by say a cleaner, with a fishtail keyswitch is unlikely to happen.
I must admit this is the first time I have heard of DP switching for fire alarm panels, I can't understand the spirit of this regulation as normally the first thing inside the main panel is normally an ELV transformer, also the only people who will need to go in there are qualified, firemen don't need to go inside the panel do they?

Spark123 said:
firemen don't need to go inside the panel do they?

I know of one job I did where the firemen had opened the panel to disconnect the mains and the batteries, because they didn't have the access code to silence the panel

An unauthorised person might use a "Universal key" to disable the alarm.

Universal keys are widely available to anyone and are sometimes known by other names, crowbars, sledgehammers and axes for example

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back