Can you explain this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The UK Govt. have a list of HCIDs (High Consequence Infectious Diseases) on their website.

Apparently, since 19 March 2020, COVID-19 is no longer considered to be an HCID in the UK.

The definition of an HCID is as follows:

• acute infectious disease
  • typically has a high case-fatality rate
  • may not have effective prophylaxis or treatment
  • often difficult to recognise and detect rapidly
  • ability to spread in the community and within healthcare settings
  • requires an enhanced individual, population and system response to ensure it is managed effectively, efficiently and safely

So, according to the UK Govt, COVID-19 is no longer considered an HCID, but SARS is.

I really don't understand this. Can anyone help?

Read more here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/high-consequence-infectious-diseases-hcid#status-of-covid-19

Sponsored Links
The UK Govt. have a list of HCIDs (High Consequence Infectious Diseases) on their website.

Apparently, since 19 March 2020, COVID-19 is no longer considered to be an HCID in the UK.

The definition of an HCID is as follows:

• acute infectious disease
  • typically has a high case-fatality rate
  • may not have effective prophylaxis or treatment
  • often difficult to recognise and detect rapidly
  • ability to spread in the community and within healthcare settings
  • requires an enhanced individual, population and system response to ensure it is managed effectively, efficiently and safely

So, according to the UK Govt, COVID-19 is no longer considered an HCID, but SARS is.

I really don't understand this. Can anyone help?

Read more here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/high-consequence-infectious-diseases-hcid#status-of-covid-19
SARS has a much higher fatality rate. Otherwise Covid-19 hits all the boxes, surprising it's not included.

SARS has a much higher fatality rate. Otherwise Covid-19 hits all the boxes, surprising it's not included.
As has been noted before, SARS was too successful for it's own good - it killed before it could spread far enough.

If we are to believe the figures about Covid-19, then it is a 'more effective' virus albeit less lethal.

And how many who have died might have gone the way of 'normal' flu?

Which begs the question - have we gone over the top on this one?

Because the neglect of other illnesses and the resulting 'austerity on steroids' will probably claim more lives than the virus!

Sponsored Links
I don't think we've gone over the top - if we have that's only an opinion obtained by hindsight as we didn't know how serious it would be. The learning curve with this one was steep - and still ongoing. Doctors were seeing things with the human body which seemed to defy medical science.

What I don't like about this disease, other than the deaths, is those who are knocked for six with it are still suffering long term side-effects. The rehab period may be a long one - and this costs money with the NHS. Makes sense to to me to try and still keep the amount of infections to a minimum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Something is not quite right on a government website so you ask the people on a forum if they can explain why?
Kind of akin to asking the guys down the pub.

Why not ask the government??

I don't think we've gone over the top - if we have that's only an opinion obtained by hindsight as we didn't know how serious it would be. The learning curve with this one was steep - and still ongoing. Doctors were seeing things with the human body which seemed to defy medical science.

What I don't like about this disease, other than the deaths, is those who are knocked for six with it are still suffering long term side-effects. The rehab period may be a long one - and this costs money with the NHS. Makes sense to to me to try and still keep the amount of infections to a minimum.

"Never believe anything until its been officially denied"
Otto Von Bismark

Lock downs around the world are saving literally no one.
World economies are being reshaped and the resulting poverty and health issues in other areas will kill far more than covid ever will.

As always PH explains it very well...

Am sorry, Hitchens is a poisonous daily hate reporter. If you can give me a link to someone with some credit, science and isn't trying to sell papers, I'll take notice.

Am sorry, Hitchens is a poisonous daily hate reporter. If you can give me a link to someone with some credit, science and isn't trying to sell papers, I'll take notice.

Thats a shame you think that.
No wonder you are blinkered and ill informed.
He names all the top scientists in that report which backs him to the hilt.

Last edited:
And when economies are decimated, "War" sticks up its ugly head.

Which begs the question - have we gone over the top on this one?

Because the neglect of other illnesses and the resulting 'austerity on steroids' will probably claim more lives than the virus!
Probably not, because you can't compare the 50,000 or so deaths with the preventive measures we have taken with the 500k or so if we did nothing. We'll, obviously you can compare them one is awful, the other is ten times as awful.

Also, even if the government had said I could go out to the cinema I wouldn't because it's too risky for me. Pretending that there was some way to avoid the economic costs is also unrealistic.

As of yesterday I was no longer shielded! I'm still not going to the pub.

Just out of interest, how many people on here have either...

1. Been tested positive for the virus?
2. Know someone who has been tested positive for the virus?
3. Know someone who has been hospitalised or died from the virus?

Sponsored Links
Back