Can you fit a timer to a shower pump?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if this is a silly question but here goes.................. :oops:

Just had a new bathroom fitted. ST pump fitted in airing cupboard for shower and taps. Pump noise isn't too bad considering but of course we have now realised that if the taps are run during the night it sounds loud and disturbs people. I wondered if we can fit a timer to the pump so that the taps aren't boosted between the hours of 11pm and 6am? Would the water to the taps simply flow at lower pressure if the pump was not running or am I asking the impossible? As you can tell, I know nothing about plumbing or electrics! Wasn't sure whether to post this in plumbing or electrics forums. Would appreciate any advise - thanks

Amelia

Sponsored Links
ST pump fitted in airing cupboard for shower and taps.
Why? I've never heard of pumping taps. If they work ok at normal pressure, they shouldnt be pumped. Did you ask for them to be pumped? Sounds like a cockup on the installers part. :confused:

Why? I've never heard of pumping taps. If they work ok at normal pressure, they shouldnt be pumped. Did you ask for them to be pumped? Sounds like a cockup on the installers part. :confused:
Cock ups aside, it’s not unusual to pump the hots to boost pressure on a "whole house" pumped system. The colds (except bath) are usually, or should be on modern systems, mains pressure drinking anyway.

I have a whole house pumped system (as above) but because it makes so much bloody row, I only turn the pump on for showers or filling the bath; & ST pumps are quieter than most! Depending on system design, flow through an idle pump can be perfectly adequate & we can even use our showers without the pump when we have "delicate" guests staying but it’s not exactly exhilarating! I assume your pump is hard wired & not on a 3 pin plug?

So turn the pump off and check you are ok with the flow levels.

Then buy something like:-

SMFST17.JPG

I'm assuming that the power lead from the pump unit is fitted in to the mains via a flex outlet, or more likely a fused spur flex outlet.

Care should be taken especially if the pump and wiring is in the bathroom.

Lets us know more about the pump location and the wiring setup and we can confirm what you could do :)

Sponsored Links
Turn off the power and see what the flow rate through the pump is like when it isn't running. My parents have one fitted to their shower, and although their is a reasonable amount of head on the system, the flow at the shower is reduced to a trickle without power to the pump.

Thanks for the replies.

Electronicsuk - Yes, same here. Flow to the taps was very poor when I switched pump off. May have to learn to live with the racket!
Will see how things are once I've put the towels back in the airing cupboard.
Amelia

Surely with the pump turned off, when you open the tap you are going to have a restricted flow anyway - the stationary internals of the pump will be playing havoc with the free-flow of water to your tap.

If you had direct pipework to the taps the flow is likely to be far better.

What about a timeswitch controlling motorised diverter valves (W-plan)?

When you don't want the pump to work they cause the water to bypass it, thus avoiding that problem.

Not sure if this is a silly question but here goes.................. :oops:

Amelia

Not a silly question at all, I think that's a really nice solution, and frankly not one that I had considered. It's borderline genius :LOL:

My in-laws have such a pump on their bathroom taps, and at night it's far too noisy, the timeswitch idea is ace.

I'm deffo going to fit one for them, Chri5's suggestion of a suitable product is perfect.

Thanks!

With the greatest of respect for BAS's suggestion, why not just make up a by-pass for the pump and install a NRV, the water wil take the easiest route and almost rule out a potential failure of a motorised valve if you fit a timer.

Mick

Forgot to say to Chri5 that the pump is situated in the airing cupboard on the landing and they have fitted a socket for the pump in there. The "trunking" (sorry - not technical!) runs up into the loft but not sure where etc. They have had to run other wiring up from the bathroom for towel warmer, underfloor heating, lights etc.

Having established that the flow is greatly reduced with the pump turned off presumably I'd better forget the timer idea - although I'd be happy washing hands under a trickling tap if I have to get up during the night. When I turned the pump off at the socket, tried the taps and then turned the pump back on again it made aquite a noise. Is that normal? Noise like water was rushing back into pipes???

Thanks for your time guys
Amelia

Forgot to say - I don't think the plumber who's just done the work will be adding any extra pipework, valves etc as he works for the bathroom installer and has quoted for the basic job only.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back