Can you paint split face tiles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am moving into my new home soon and in the living room one of the walls has these split faced tiles. I'm not keen on the colour and think they would look better in a dark grey slate colour. Are these tiles paintable and if so, what sort of paint would you recommend using? Also, would it need a coat of primer before painting, if so a specific type? Thank you
Screenshot_20221031-193624_Chrome.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221031-192301_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221031-192301_Chrome.jpg
    308.7 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I would be tempted to put a coat of acrylic primer on the wall first.

Something like this:

UK PAINT - Acrylic Primer Undercoat - 5L - Dark Grey https://amzn.eu/d/hZb7f0Q

Then a quality emulsion.

But try little match pots first before you commit to doing the whole wall.

Sponsored Links
Looks good. You don't need to sand, and it will seal the surface so nothing bleeds through.

I'd go for this instead!

Thank you both for your really helpful advice, will use the zinsser primer-sealer, with an emulsion top coat.

If you, or the next owners/tenants don't like it after a time, it will be nigh on impossible to get it back to it's natural colour.

Why not buy a section of it from B&Q, paint it and see what you think? Might be a better course of action than starting and then thinking 'oh f***'

Yep, funny you should say that. I decided on this this morning. If it looks naff will just get rid. I actually like the slate ones you can buy, have seen them up in another house, but these beige tone ones, not keen! Thanks for all your replies

You might be better off hiring/borrowing an airless sprayer. If you do it with a brush it will take ages and you will get paint build up at the edges.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back