Can you plaster onto MDF or Ply-wood?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not much else I can add to the question here - building a curved wall and it's easier to bend MDF or Ply-wood around the stud work than slicing out strips of plaster board to stop it from snapping!

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
you can but before you plaster line it with building paper then fix expanded metal mesh over this.Ask for plastering mesh down the builders merchants.
Personally I would go for ply as mdf is so hard to nail into

Thanks for your advice - what if I coated the ply first with PVA then bonded b4 the finish coat?

Im not a plasterer but id say yes.....remember wood (ply or MDF) and the frame work its bult on expands and contracts quite a lot, plaster is very hard and inflexible and may blow.

Sponsored Links
You can get plasterboard that is made for bending or just dampen one side of a sheet of 9.5mm board and leave it leaning against a wall, it will soon sag.

If you are planing to use bonding and finish you might just as well use rib-lath or similar and plaster onto that.

What sort of radius are you after?

Jason

Mmmm, thx Jasonb - didn't know bendable plasterboard existed, I'll enquire!

The radius is that of a 900mm quadranr shower tray - I'm using it so 1 straight edge is against a wall, the other is where you enter it and the curved edge will be another wall with a few glass bricks inset to it.

If it's for a shower then you would be better off with either stainless steel rib-lath and sand/cement render. Or go the plasterboard route but tank the wall with something like BAL's WP1 tanking system which will stop any water penitrating the wall. I would personally tank the render as well particularly is you intend to use mosaics on the curved wall.

Jason

That's what started the dilema off - can u plaster to it tho!?!

Why plaster the ply when you can tile straight onto it with the correct adhesive or are you plastering the outer curve.

Bendy ply has water proof glue, flexi MDF is not water resistant so out of the two ply would be the better option.

Jason

Oh I see what u mean - yeah, the outside will be plastered, inside will be tiled - I've tiled to ply b4 so know this works. Think I may just score vertical lines into the outside of the plaster board at 2" intervals - by the time it's plastered it should look curved?

lightly score the plasterboard, but dampen it as well and it should slowly form to the radius you want

Simple answer is no and you never could that is why lathe was used the plaster goes through the spaces and forms a hook type of effect holding the plaster in place. Any attempt to use plaster especially in a moist or damp area will fail.

Simple answer is no and you never could that is why lathe was used the plaster goes through the spaces and forms a hook type of effect holding the plaster in place. Any attempt to use plaster especially in a moist or damp area will fail.
anon2 check the last post date before posting, this one is nearly 5 years old :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back