can you please help me remove pullswitch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
in my bathroom i have pullcord switch which switches both the light on and the fan (in parallel)
i wish to remove the wiring. the pullcord switch has the lighting ring going into it. and then a wire going to the light

i am replacing with rcb mains through 3a switched fuse outside bathroom which then goes to light and again the fan in parallel

how do i remove the switch? do i need to connect things together. if not do i just put the cable in terminal block and cover with electrical tape?

thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
And why are you doing this?

Rob I think he intends to turn the light on and off with the RCD FCU (which I gather he is fitting to replace the lightswitch). :eek:

qwertyuiop were you thinking Something like this?
BRH92.JPG

i am removing pullswitch on lighting ringmain

then from a junction box i am taking mains (rcd protected) to a 3a swithed fuse (see link below) on the wall in the hall outside the bathroom. from there to the light and fan in parallel in the bathroom.

i shall use this as the lightswitch in the hall outside the bathroom:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/13479...ckets/White-Moulded/MK-Range/MK-13A-DP-Sw-FCU

then from this to the light and fan

thanks again

Sponsored Links
1. your lights are not on a ring main.

2. why do you want rid of the pullswitch?

3. is the circuit ALREADY RCD protected? Or is part of this to afford protection to your bathroom?

4. Why a 3A fuse?

i am getting electrician in. he is checking all my work and issuing part p. i just thought it better to have lights also protected on rcd. the mains rcd is in the floor outside the bathroom (by which i mean a mains supply that is rcd protected - to be precise its a not in use thick cable for an electric shower that comes from consumer unit and is on the rcd side of the unit. from there the thick cable comes up to a junction box from junction box several spurs: mirror light; heated towel rail; electric wall fan heater; and now light and extractor fan). from there to the lightswitch i show above. then to light and fan in parallel. thanks for your help. sorry about my typing i am fairly badly dyslexic

3a fuse to protect light and fan

still no one has answered how i remove pull switch - please

thanks for replies anyway!

its not just a case of removing the pullswitch. You need to put a junction box there.

You dont need a 3 amp fuse protecting lighting. Nor do you need an RCD on it, provided it was done prior to the 17th edition (99.9% of the UK)

As long as the supplementary bonding is in place, leave it alone.

If you're paying an electrician, let him do the work. He cant "issue a part p" because you're in scotland where it doesn't apply. :idea:

Worrying that your RCD is below the floor.

Can you upload a photo of the main consumer unit and your "RCD"?

its one of these units in the basement

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/60251...-Way-Fully-Insulated-Split-Load-Consumer-Unit

it was installed by fully qualified electrician. and so was the shower cable that i am not using for a shower (changed my mind got a mixer) so this provides the power to the junction box

the new shower cable comes from the rcd side of the unit (yes i checked)

this goes to a junction box

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/15143...-Boxes/Heavy-Duty-Junction-Box-20A-6-Terminal

from here it goes in spurs to various items each one protected outside the bathroom with one of these:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/13479...ckets/White-Moulded/MK-Range/MK-13A-DP-Sw-FCU

so for example from the junction box to one of the dp switches outside bathroom to the electric fan heater on the wall (yes in correct zone)

i would like everything in the bathroom to be on the rcd. and all that is not is the light and the fan (inline away from bathroom)

thanks again

OK, you should have three cables in yuor pullswitch then.

One (or 2) will go to the light and fan. The other two need connecting together in an accessible junction box so they carry the current to the rest of the lighting circuit.

The cables to the light then need extending (or replacing) so they can connect to your new switch.

I still dont see the point. We had no RCDs at all in our house until 3 years ago. :eek:

You have a standard 16th edition setup, which is what maybe 60% of the UK house stock has. How often do you touch the bathroom light or fan whilst naked and wet? Never. This is why it was never compulsory to protect them, until the H&S namby pambys came out with the 17th edition :LOL:

the thick cable comes up to a junction box
A junction box rated at ________ ?
On a circuit with an MCB rated at ________ ?

from junction box several spurs: mirror light; heated towel rail; electric wall fan heater; and now light and extractor fan.
That's 4 individual FCUs so far. Gonna look pretty bad.

Why didn't you use a grid with switch and fuse modules?

ok. sorry i guess you think i am fussing too much. but a friend was electrocuted and died as a result last year. so i am ultra sensitive to these matters. so whilst i understand what you are saying i want to be ultra safe. i have children and i worry about electrocution. well i do now since the death of a friend. thanks for your kind help

rearding the wiring. two wires go to switch. one of these must supply power the other goes to the light then on to the extractor fan. can i just put the wires that come to the switch supplying the power in a junction box and leave it at that?

the junction box is rated at 20a

the rcd is 80a and 30ma

is this somehow wrong? the thick cable has its own fuse on the cu i think 30a

thanks again

Why not leave the pull switch alone, and just have an RCBO installed at your consumer unit?

i want to be ultra safe.
ColJack's suggestion is just as safe.

Using a grid would be just as safe as all those separate FCUs.

i have children and i worry about electrocution.
Then get someone who knows what he is doing to do electrical work in your house, i.e. an electrician.

You don't know what you're doing - I wouldn't like to guarantee that you aren't making things less safe with your fiddling.

the cu and the shower cable and the juncion box and two of the spurs via dp swithces were all installed by qualified electrian. i merely added the mirror light and now i am adding the ceiling light and fan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back