Can you polish the edge of limestone tile?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to edge a new wooden shower cubicle plinth with the same tiles as I've put on the walls & floor.
Is it possible to polish (or at least make it presentable) the cut edge of the tile? I know I could use plastic trim but I think using the same tiles would look more professional. The tiles are honed & filled Travertine (12mm thick)
Anyone help?

Sponsored Links
Not sure I understand the question. Are you using the tiles like a skirting or upstand?

Why don't you cut them to size, but put them with the cut edge facing away from you, or bedded in the grout, and the factory edge showing?

Hi JohnD
Have built a 4" high frame and covered it with marine ply. The shower tray will sit on this but it leaves the frame exposed - make sense?
However, there are no 'factory cut' edges - their all the same as the tiles have been cut from a block.

you could rub it with 600 grade or finer wet-and-dry. Used wet it leaves a polished surface (used dry it doesn't). there are also powdered polishes like you use to take scratches off glass, but they are incredibly slow. You can get various powders from polished-stone craft shops (I think it's called Lapidiary)

Sponsored Links
I've just spent 10 mins rubbing down the edge of one tile with wet&dry - the result is really good. Will the chemical I use for sealing the walls & floor give the tile edge a 'wet-look'? If so the problem solved :)

The sealant will give a 'wetter' look. If you want real polish you should finish off with cerium oxide.

joe

Rimrogs said:
Thanks Joe - where do I get this stuff?

It's the stuff that was mentioned earlier from a lapidary supplier. It is used as a final polish in a gem tumbler.

joe

Shop that polishes up Labia, I like them shiny.

JohnD said:

My dictionary says: "Any of the four lip-shaped folds of the female vulva"

I've never seen a shiney one yet John??

joe

joe-90 said:
JohnD said:

My dictionary says: "Any of the four lip-shaped folds of the female vulva"

I've never seen a shiney one yet John??

joe
Try polishing harder :LOL:

Smooth helps.

Wet-look helps.

Persistent polishing helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back