Can you put 2 cables on load side of a single fcu?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys. Got a fcu off of the ring main to then supply power to a gas boiler. Simple enough.

Im looking for a way to get an outdoor socket fitted in this area, and am wondering if i can put a cable from load side (so, along with the boiler flex) to the new outdoor socket.

I cant see a problem with it myself. Its protected by the fcu and the gas boiler hardly uses much leccy.

Tia

Sponsored Links
Is the fused connection unit a spur ,on a ring final circuit ? Is it part of a ring final circuit. Or is it a radial circuit dedicated to the boiler ?

Is the fused connection unit a spur ,on a ring final circuit ? Is it part of a ring final circuit. Or is it a radial circuit dedicated to the boiler ?
A spur, off of the ring main.

Edit: ie see drawing

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230228-165320~2.png
    Screenshot_20230228-165320~2.png
    49.8 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Likely the boiler - i.e. heating system - will have a 3A fuse; not much good for a socket.

People will think this should not be altered.

Likely the boiler - i.e. heating system - will have a 3A fuse; not much good for a socket.

People will think this should not be altered.
Right! That makes sense, yeah. Would i be able then, to fit an fcu in the cable that goes from the existing socket to the existing fcu.

Edit:. Or. Probably easyer, to just cut into the ring main cables, fit a new fcu.

Last edited:
Im looking for a way to get an outdoor socket fitted in this area, and am wondering if i can put a cable from load side (so, along with the boiler flex) to the new outdoor socket. .... I cant see a problem with it myself. Its protected by the fcu and the gas boiler hardly uses much leccy.
You can connect whatever you want, and as many things as you want, to the load side of an FCU, even if it is a spur from a ring final circuit.

However, as has been said, if it's currently supplying a boiler, it probably has a 3A fuse - so, unless the new socket would only be used for very small loads you would have to increase the rating of the fuse (probably to 13A) - and, as has been said, some people would probably believe/say that was 'wrong' (in relation to the boiler).

Kind Regards, John

Right! That makes sense, yeah. Would i be able then, to fit an fcu in the cable that goes from the existing socket to the existing fcu.
No, because you would then have more than one thing being supplied by one spur from the ring, which would not be acceptable if the spur was in 2.5mm² cable.
Edit:. Or. Probably easyer, to just cut into the ring main cables, fit a new fcu.
That would be the ideal.

Kind Regards, John

No, because you would then have more than one thing being supplied by one spur from the ring, which would not be acceptable if the spur was in 2.5mm² cable.
Even with a total of 16A of fuses - which could be 26A in other circumstances?

Or you could upgrade the existing fuse to 13A to feed a socket and a second FCU with a 3A fuse for the boiler.

Or you could replace the FCU with a double socket and power the boiler with a plug containing a 3A fuse and plug the outdoor socket into the second socket.

Last edited:
Even with a total of 16A of fuses - which could be 26A in other circumstances?
Yes, I have to agree that such would be (electrically) OK - but., as you have said, it would certainly be at risk of resulting in "arguments discussions", particularly on the part of those who, obsessed with an ';informative' Appendix of the regs, believe/say that it is not acceptable for an unfused spur to feed two single sockets!

KInd Regards, John

Or you could upgrade the existing fuse to 13A to feed a socket and a second FCU with a 3A fuse for the boiler.
Good point. That would even satisfy those who like to argue!
Or you could replace the FCU with a double socket and power the boiler with a plug containing a 3A fuse.
Indeed - or that, even!

Kind Regards, John

Or you could replace the FCU with a double socket and power the boiler with a plug containing a 3A fuse and plug the outdoor socket into the second socket.
Personally I don't see a difference between a double socket and 2 FCU's except the majority of double sockets are rated at 20A total and some only 13A.

But regs is regs is right

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back