can you put an oven above a fridge.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mother has a very small kitchen. She have a fridge, freezer, washing machine and tumble drier. She doesnt have enough room to have these four items. She also needs the oven at worktop hight (she's 82). I've been told you cant put an appliance under the gas/electric hob so thats one space restricted. Can I sit the fridge or freezer under the over in the larder type carcass.

Its an open plan kitchen that looks like it fitted in a bed recess @ 1740 x 2520 x 1780.

Regards Gary.

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't fancy your chances of it working particularly well but you might get away with it. Fridges/freezers need good air circulation at the rear to dissipate the heat they produce and if you factor in the heat produced by the oven that could well affect the performance of the fridge/freezer.

I would have thought that there would be less risk by putting, say, the tumble drier underneath.

Clearly the oven will not be used a great deal, unless the old dear does a lot of baking/roasting but I don't think anyone will be able to advise beyond that.

Thanks for the reply kbdiy. The TD wont really sit well there as its an internal wall, so no where for the damp heat to go. The oven wont really be used that often, maybe once a week for a roast.

The fridge/freezer will work under the oven, AS LONG as you follow the fridge/freezer install instruction.
You will need a free vent at the rear to act like a chimney. The heat from the oven will tend to go up.
Its about the airflow under the front of the FF & up the back & being able to escape, regardless of the oven being on or off.

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't fancy your chances of it working particularly well but you might get away with it. Fridges/freezers need good air circulation at the rear to dissipate the heat they produce and if you factor in the heat produced by the oven that could well affect the performance of the fridge/freezer.
What about the countless fridges that are sat on a floor with underfloor heating then? Which could be kept on 24/7?

The heat from the oven will tend to go up.

Heat does not rise.

What about the countless fridges that are sat on a floor with underfloor heating then? Which could be kept on 24/7?

Much lower temperatures?

Underfloor heating should typically reach 27c on the top maximun (Though I am not sure if that is timber specific or general).

You could have a sheet of plywood or other thick wood material between the two, with the plywood spanning to touch the wall. This will help to reduce heat radiation.

For air cirulation drill a few holes in this area to allow hot air to go up, even better would be to stick a few PC fans to force air circulation upwards.

Not sure it's a good idea all in all, or if my suggestions are OTT.

Its a wonder fridges work in hot countries isn't it! :rolleyes:

we used to test them @ 40c, the main problems were having to have bigger compressors & heat exchangers.

Hot air rises, (or does cold air fall)...Isnt heat hot air?
Don't be picky :cry:

All I said was that it needs good air circulation. Otherwise the heat build-up will cause the compressor to run more often with consequent detriment to overall performance.

As for underfloor heating, in a well-designed kitchen, it wouldn't be run under appliance spaces.

theirs not a lot of heat coming of the bottom of my hob, what if I put the fridge under that.

Tumble dryer can sit on top of washing machine.
She could have the fridge on top of the freezer.
Difficult for anyone to give exact advice since we don't know the dimensions of anything in the kitchen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back