Can you put wood dye into varnish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
No sure if this is a good idea to save time but has anybody tried pouring Wood dye into varnish?
We are struggling to get the floor colour we want as most turn out to be too yellow or too orange so wondered if anyone has tried mixing 2 wood stains together?
Could you then just pour the resulting dye into a clear varnish and just that onto the floor?
Just a thought?

Sponsored Links
I have done it with water based varnish and water based dyes and it worked fine.
I would thing as long as both use the same solvent it should work OK. (y)
Just try a sample on some scrap first to see what shade it dries as.

I often mix solvent based dyes together.

You don't say if your floor varnish is water or oil based. Clear oil based varnish has a yellow tint. With waterbased varnish, if you lick your finger and wipe it on the floor, it will show you what the floor will look like (colour wise).

You shouldn't put oil based stains in waterbased varnish, waterbased stains in oil based paints, whilst not advisable are less of a problem. That said, it you tint the varnish, you risk uneven coverage if you are not consistent in application. Additionally, if the floor becomes chipped, you will see the "naked" timber.

These days, I prefer to use products such as Osmo oil rather than waterbased varnishes for floors. When the coating wears down, you can touch in areas, you can't do that with varnish.

Sponsored Links
Thanks opps.
It was more the pitfalls of mixing two dyes together that worried me.
I realise then pouring that into varnish is just being lazy but thought I'd ask anyways.
Will prob just mix the two dyes together then stick a clear varnish on top.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back