Can you re-set an intruder alarm system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,

I just found out that the house i'm living in (since 3 years ago) has an intruder alarm (pannel was hiding under the stairs), the problem is:

1) Pannel brand is WICKES 3 zones
2) Inside the pannel there was a sticker saying the warranty will expire in 12/05
3) I don't know any codes

basically i've got a fully wired alarm system that is useless unless I can reset it or see the code in my dream??

what do you think my wizzards friends?

Sponsored Links
its probably a re-badged something else question is what.

I would be inclined to get a new panel

hi breezer,

thanks mate, i probably be better off with a new pannel u're right, i was thinking..

the one i've got is simply plugged in a powerpoint, not like ones u feed from the main board..can i still get a pannel like that??

cheers

it was obviously diy, it supposed to be connected via a fused connection unit, so you cant unplug it

yes lots of diy alarms out there

Sponsored Links
the one i've got is simply plugged in a powerpoint, not like ones u feed from the main board..can i still get a pannel like that??
you can put any alarm panel on a plug, its not really a very smart idea but it's not some special feature either.

This is a long shot but you've got nothing to lose. Unplug it from the mains, open the panel and disconnect any batteries you find in there. Be prepared for a self activating bell to go off outside. Look for ANY batteries in the panel. There might be a small one on a PCB to maintain memory. If this isn't removable short it for a second or two.

Now put all the power back on and try the codes "1234" or "9999". If there's a key marked "Reset" press this first then enter the code.

NB: If this doesn't work and that bell is going off you'll have to get up there and silence it or wait until its battery runs down.

There might be a small one on a PCB to maintain memory. If this isn't removable short it for a second or two.

NOT good advice, it will damage the battery, may cause the battery to rupture and may not achieve the desired loss of memory content.

If the battery is soldered in there will (on any decent design) be a battery disconnect link provided. This may be a soldered in link, a low value resistor of a removable link.

bernardgreen said:
If the battery is soldered in there will (on any decent design) be a battery disconnect link provided.

I've never damaged a memory back-up battery with a momentary short circuit - or perhaps I should say that the batteries didn't show any signs of damage in that they worked afterwards. Nevertheless, bernardgreen's advice is good. If you can find a battery disconnect link then use it.

save4 the grief and get a new panel.

small panels rarley have a memory battery

You're still going to have to take the cover off to change it though so trying a reset isn't such a bad idea.

This is a long shot but you've got nothing to lose. Unplug it from the mains, open the panel and disconnect any batteries you find in there. Be prepared for a self activating bell to go off outside. Look for ANY batteries in the panel. There might be a small one on a PCB to maintain memory. If this isn't removable short it for a second or two.

Now put all the power back on and try the codes "1234" or "9999". If there's a key marked "Reset" press this first then enter the code.

NB: If this doesn't work and that bell is going off you'll have to get up there and silence it or wait until its battery runs down.

This should work, I had a Wickes 5 zone fitted in my last house & used this trick a couple of times. Although a DIY system, it served the family well for the 12 years we had it & as far as I know, its still there. I used to spend a lot of time working away from home & I installed it after I caught someone nosing around in the garden. It did the trick as all of my other 3 neighbour’s houses were burgled over the years! The external alarm bell will (should!) sound when the back up battery is dissed but you only have to do it for a few seconds to return the unit to the default factory settings so punching in 1234 (the factory default code) should silence it immediately. You can then input your own code, assuming you have the instructions how to do it!

-------------
This should work, I had a Wickes 5 zone fitted in my last house & used this trick a couple of times. Although a DIY system, it served the family well for the 12 years we had it & as far as I know, its still there. I used to spend a lot of time working away from home & I installed it after I caught someone nosing around in the garden. It did the trick as all of my other 3 neighbour’s houses were burgled over the years! The external alarm bell will (should!) sound when the back up battery is dissed but you only have to do it for a few seconds to return the unit to the default factory settings so punching in 1234 (the factory default code) should silence it immediately. You can then input your own code, assuming you have the instructions how to do it!

Richard C,

have you got instructions mate??? the one i've got is 5 zones not 3 as i said previously (i just had another look)

cheers

my 5 zones panel "Wickes" is a very plain thing it has the following:

-- 8 Leds (mains-day-1-2-3-4-5-tamper)
-- 12 buttons on the keypad (0 to 9 - * - #)
-- that's all

how do i do know when the unit is asking me for the code or anything like that?? is there anybody with an instruction manual

thank you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back