Can you use wall plugs with concrete screws?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got concrete screws that I want to fix a metal frame to an old breeze block wall.
The point of the concrete screws is they just need a pilot hole and DON'T need a wall plug.
However because the breeze block is quite soft it works much better with wall plugs. Can you use wall plugs with concrete screws or are they only meant for being used with woodscrews? thanks to any responders.

Sponsored Links
No need.
If you think you have a grip issue, use a longer screw.
They go up to 180mm.
I use a combination of 6, 6.5 and 7mm sds depending on the material hardness.
Which go up to 210mm long.
ae235

Last edited:
Thanks for the response, agreed the longer the screw the better however the wall isn't that thick. A woodscrew with a wall plug has much better grip than the concrete screws, so i'm just wondering if I can also use the concrete screws with a wall plug.

Sponsored Links
No it hasn't.
If that were the case we would still be faffing around with them.
Haha true. But when screwing into old breeze block it seems to grip far better with a wall plug. I’m sure that’s not the case for brick or concrete blocks.

Why do you think wood screws are alright in plastic plugs but masonry ones might not be?
Very good point!... My only argument was that they were designed to screw into masonry, however a wood screw is designed to be screwed into wood!.. so I guess that answers my question and it’s ok to use a wall plugs with masonry screws!

as long as you dont start moaning when the concrete screw / rawlplug combo blows your old ‘the wall isn’t that thick’ breeze block apart.
the clue is in the name ‘breeze block’ which isn’t actually concrete .
maybe a frame fixing would be more suitable.

as long as you dont start moaning when the concrete screw / rawlplug combo blows your old ‘the wall isn’t that thick’ breeze block apart.
the clue is in the name ‘breeze block’ which isn’t actually concrete .
maybe a frame fixing would be more suitable.
Thanks for your response, Ive bought some frame fixings. I don’t really understand the difference, seems to be a screw with a wall plug!, but it seems to be the most suitable thing.

Ive bought some frame fixings. I don’t really understand the difference,

The frame fixing's sleeve passes right through the frame.
A plastic plug just sits in the masonry.
A gorilla bar will pull them out easily. With a gorilla on the end of it.

Why not just use rawplugs and standard screws?
But what is a standard screw?.. I’m not sure how the frame fixings I’ve bought are anything different other than size to a wood screw and wall plug... edit... just read rylers post... that’s how they’re different!

The frame fixing's sleeve passes right through the frame.
A plastic plug just sits in the masonry.
A gorilla bar will pull them out easily. With a gorilla on the end of it.
Thanks Ryler!... not the cheap ones I’ve bought though!

Sponsored Links
Back