Cancellations...

Sponsored Links
Of course they are obliged to pay for it.
No, they don’t if it’s in addition to statutory leave.

Bank holidays​

Bank or public holidays do not have to be given as paid leave.

An employer can choose to include bank holidays as part of a worker’s statutory annual leave.

Sponsored Links
Are you happy with that answer before anybody goes further ?
As I understand it, the contract of employment specifies the number of paid holidays in a year.
Suppose it says something like 20 days paid holiday per year, that would suggest 14 days annual holiday + 6 bank holiday days.

Just because there is an extra public holiday scheduled, it doesn't change the contract of employment.

As I understand it, the contract of employment specifies the number of paid holidays in a year.
Suppose it says something like 20 days paid holiday per year, that would suggest 14 days annual holiday + 6 bank holiday days.

Just because there is an extra public holiday scheduled, it doesn't change the contract of employment.
It’s 5.6 weeks paid holiday. That’s 28 days for a full time worker or 5.6 hours if someone works just an hour a week. That’s the minimum. They can allow more. They can allow bank holidays on top of that too. Up to the firm.

How to put this simply.

Whether the bank holidays are included in the statutory holidays or counted as statutory + bank holidays, they have to be paid. A company can give extra (paid) but it cannot give less. Therefore every bank holiday (and other holiday days) are paid, with no output = expensive.

Ask the relevant sports authorities, they didn't have to cancel events.
Apparently football matches were cancelled because The Queen was the FA's patron, and Prince William is its president, so they cancelled as a mark of respect.

I ought to give you a thanks for that comment.
You're proving to the world and his wife that you're a genuine dummkopf.

Dummkopf

You got Germanic connections

Who’s wife ??

Found out we’re Calais is ?? Perhaps Google’s your friend ;)

I’m most upset the International pasty 3 day festival has been cancelled.

(strictly speaking it’s the mining and pasty festival)

Apparently football matches were cancelled because The Queen was the FA's patron, and Prince William is its president, so they cancelled as a mark of respect.
Football League fixtures are to be played in midweek.
Although a full league programme went ahead after the death of King George VI in 1952: black armbands, a minutes silence, then play on... different times.
Although i was amused to read of a letter written by George Bernard Shaw to the Times* upon the notice of Queen Victoria's death; complaining about excessive emotion displayed the general public - Lord knows what the old curmudgeon would think about us these days.

*It was never published - like the link i asked Wellyfish for this morning. :p

How to put this simply.

Whether the bank holidays are included in the statutory holidays or counted as statutory + bank holidays, they have to be paid. A company can give extra (paid) but it cannot give less. Therefore every bank holiday (and other holiday days) are paid, with no output = expensive.
No. They can be unpaid and in addition to statutory holidays.

As per the government rules already stated above:

Bank holidays​

Bank or public holidays do not have to be given as paid leave.
Sorry, can’t break it down any simpler for you. In other words the worker has a right to have this bank holiday and the company have a right not to pay them for it.

Sponsored Links
Back