canitlever roof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ok,so for fun I'm designing a dream flat.
it's a 1 bed flat over a double garage.
it has external stairs up to the front door.
I'd like to extend the roof over these stairs as they follow the pitch.
the problem is that means tryig to figure out how to frame / support one side of the roof ( from gutter to peak ) that protrudes 1.5m..

asyou can see there's 4.5m roughly between the handrail and the roof so a post is kind of out..

Sponsored Links
I think you're losing it Col!

In answer to your question an SE designed cantilevered ladder frame would work and would give you a fairly thin roof as you've 'drawn'. Probably need some steels though. Anything's possible if you have the cash!

Don't know why you'd think a post is out, apart from an aesthetics point of view but I think that's probably best left out of this thread!

is my roof not thick enough then?
I only stuck it on quick for the picture..
what kind of thickness will I be looking at?

it's currently drawn about 200 deep with 50mm for tile thickness on top..
I make that about 7 inch rafters and 2x1 battens on top, then 2 inch for tiles / slate..?

it's 8m from front to back of the house, and I guessed at 3m for the peak height above the wall, so that's a 4 in 3 pitch ( or is it 3 in 4, i never know if it's rise or run first.. )

is my roof not thick enough then?
I only stuck it on quick for the picture..
what kind of thickness will I be looking at?
No I was saying that your roof thickness was ok(ish).

BTW, technically your stairs would fail Building Regs scrutiny in several ways.

Sponsored Links
Part M regs for dwelling access stairs:
Max Rise: 150mm
Min Going: 280mm
Maximum rise between landings: 1.8m
Minimum landing length: 900mm

so if I put a door on the bottom then they're ok since the primary entrance would be at ground floor?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back