Cannon Oven taking long time to get hot help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am retired but have electrical knowledge from my old job and I have a Cannon floor standing oven, model C60ETX which is not working properly.

It seems to be taking forever to get to the maximum temperature of 230deg which my wife uses all the time as a keen cook.

Now a bit of history, I think it is about 8 years old but in good condition. It did the same thing in October 2018 so I took the back off and tested everything. I found the element round the oven fan blown and so ordered and fitted new. I also replaced the potentiometer at the same time as it looked cruddy although to be honest I probably jumped the gun having found that to be the cure in the past (it probably didn't need replacing). I watched the oven fan and found it to be too slow for what I thought it should be like so I took it out and checked to see if I could do anything. I found it to be a bit sticky as if it was a little gunged up so I cleaned it and put my cordless drill on the spindle and spun it while spraying it with degreaser and then cleaning it again after. It was a lot better after this, spinning quite freely. I refitted it and it spun much faster (I could really hear it running fast) I could see that through the glass door. The wife was happy again and everything worked great and fast.

Anyway roll on 4 months and now it’s doing a similar thing so I thought I know what’s wrong, that element has gone again, but it is working fine, I checked the ohms and all seems good with the 2 elements, one around the fan and one on the roof of the oven.

The fan may not be quite as fast, I can’t be sure, my wife thinks it’s still turning as it should but I remember it making more noise and turning faster I thought. It’s still fast enough to be a blur once running full so it’s difficult to be sure either way.

I then thought I’ll get an exploded diagram of the appliance but I cannot find that anywhere so I then thought I’ll check the parts list and see if it has another element. Although not the best way as the parts fit many models but I saw they do a base element so I checked my oven thinking that must have failed but there is no base element on my oven. There are no cables going to the bottom, even discreetly, and it takes major work to open the bottom so I am pretty confident there is no base element on our model.

I cannot believe the potentiometer has gone again as they seem to last quite well, the elements are ok so I’m thinking it could be the fan but is that what happens when the fan slows down that it struggles to reach the high temperature? I mean how would a fan help it increase temperature quickly surely it just circulates the heat evenly?

I know there is still the probe I have not tested but I didn’t find any connections to test for that and I am not sure what reading I would get off it anyway if I saw it. I assume the cable shoots off to the front to the controls area, it’s not testable at the back.

What should I do next? Can anybody guide me what to do next please?

Any help or info appreciated.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Have you checked the voltage being supplied to the elements, perhaps it is too low, or is it cycling on and off as it should, on constantly from cold then cycle when it gets up to temp.. Is there an overheat stat in the top of the oven that might be faulty?

sorry typo above on model number, I have corrected it above too now C60ETX

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back