Cannot access Folders on HDD USB SATA Enclosure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here's another one for Dave and/or some of the other lads.

By the way, I still haven't any news on the other issue (CD/DVD Drive not working).

Anyway, I seem to attract my mates with their Tech problems. Got another pal who's nephew's laptop has been slow. Cut a long story short, he decided to take it into Currys and have a new HDD put in. No problem all sorted. Only thing is they didn't rescue any of his old folders. So that's were I come into the story. I installed the HDD (SATA), into a USB Enclosure. Showed him how to access the files, great. He's just rang up tonight saying that although he can access the areas such as Users etc, he cannot open folders within the Users Directory. He can however open My Pictures and see the pictures in there. When he tries to open folders with Users, he gets a windows error message stating Windows Cannot Open this folder etc. I have taken him through 'ownership' of a folder but it still cannot open the folder. He's bringing the USB HDD Enclosure and Laptop round here tomorrow so any ideas how I can gain access to these folders?

Sponsored Links
what OS?

Permissions and ownership can be a real ball-ache sometimes.

If by chance its xp, take ownership at the root level of the external hdd (as admin preferably) and tick "Replace owner on sub-container and objects" box. Once thats done, close the propeties box down.
Re-open the properties and go to the 'Permissions' tab. Make sure you tick the "Replace permissions entries on all child object....blah blah blah..!".
It may take some time.... but thats what i tend to do to reset permissions when they just fail for no real reason.

Hope it helps.

Cheers kjacko. I'm off round there later this evening so will see how things go. Its Vista :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Sponsored Links
Back