Cannot bleed my radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our heating system is centrally controlled, is put on in October and turned off in May. One of the radiators is cold at the top and needs bleeding, but the nipple seems to be worn, so nothing happens when the key is used. What part needs to be replaced? Does anyone know of a reliable plumber in London Streatham who might do the job and can the job be done with the system on or does it need to wait until summer?
Thanks all

Sponsored Links
depending on how old your radiator is or the type depends if u can replace the bleed or not.

Some air nipples are in 1/2" plugs which can be unwound and replaced. Some are in 1/4" plugs too which can be replaced but are easily chewed and can be a nightmare.

And some nipples are into the radiator end direct so if cant get out at all then a new rad or some drastic action :eek: :LOL:

Try filing down your radiator key.

A lot of the keys have a chamfered bit on the end (god knows why)

It works a treat.

Sometimes :LOL:

Thanks dtm - it is an old radiator, so it may have to replaced or may have some ridiculously radomly sized replacement attachment. Your suggestions were great though.

All the best to ya :)

Sponsored Links
sorry if i am stating the obvious but try another [metal ]bleed key
as it may be a combination of rounded square and rounded key and there may be enough to grip on a new key

Hi Big-all

Amen to the still learning, I say. I will try that.

Thanks
:)

big-all said:
as it may be a combination of rounded square and rounded key and there may be enough to grip on a new key

yup should have said. The flat ended keys are a bloody lifesaver at times. the brass ones all seem to be chamfered in a bit and no depth on the nipples so just slip over them.

Flat keys ive found always grey in colour and solid handle ends..ie..no holes to put on your bunch of keys etc..

dan the man said:
big-all said:

yup should have said. The flat ended keys are a b****y lifesaver at times. the brass ones all seem to be chamfered in a bit and no depth on the nipples so just slip over them.

Flat keys ive found always grey in colour and solid handle ends..ie..no holes to put on your bunch of keys etc..

I will look out for one of those.

Thanks again!

:) :) :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back