Canopy Proposal Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I want to put a small 2m x 2m canopy next to my side door. It would be placed on to a printed concrete drive and you will see from the photo that there isn't much room below the eaves. One brick course between top of door and the soffit. So I would be grateful for some advice about how to do this as cheaply as possible but in a sufficiently robust form.

- what spec timbers would you use?

- because there isn't much room to attach it to the house at the top with some kind of beam, could have it separate from the house on four posts, maybe sat just beneath the gutter?

- is there a product you can recommend for attaching the posts to the concrete drive, some kind of metal "shoes" that get screwed into the concrete? What fixings would be needed?

- I'm thinking to use that poly carb stuff for the roof, like what they have on some conservatories. Thoughts?

- any suggestions about design of it, or even, am I just as well buying some kind of manufactured kit and assembling that? If so, any recommendations?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20231213_115216.jpg
    20231213_115216.jpg
    415.3 KB · Views: 36
Sponsored Links
Hi all,

I want to put a small 2m x 2m canopy next to my side door. It would be placed on to a printed concrete drive and you will see from the photo that there isn't much room below the eaves. One brick course between top of door and the soffit. So I would be grateful for some advice about how to do this as cheaply as possible but in a sufficiently robust form.

- what spec timbers would you use?

- because there isn't much room to attach it to the house at the top with some kind of beam, could have it separate from the house on four posts, maybe sat just beneath the gutter?

- is there a product you can recommend for attaching the posts to the concrete drive, some kind of metal "shoes" that get screwed into the concrete? What fixings would be needed?

- I'm thinking to use that poly carb stuff for the roof, like what they have on some conservatories. Thoughts?

- any suggestions about design of it, or even, am I just as well buying some kind of manufactured kit and assembling that? If so, any recommendations?

Thanks!
Gallows brackets would be the most sensible. Height will depend how savvy you are at weathering the roof of the canopy. You don't have a lot of room beneath the soffit, so your eaves detailing skills will take a test. If you intend keeping the existing gutter/soffit/eaves in tact, then the canopy will sit quite low and possibly encroach onto the top of the door frame.

Gallows brackets would be the most sensible. Height will depend how savvy you are at weathering the roof of the canopy. You don't have a lot of room beneath the soffit, so your eaves detailing skills will take a test. If you intend keeping the existing gutter/soffit/eaves in tact, then the canopy will sit quite low and possibly encroach onto the top of the door frame.
Thanks for this. Yes, the low head room is a challenge, which is why I'm thinking to have the canopy on four posts so that it is separate from the house and could sit flush with the fascia board, just below the gutter of the house. This would buy extra head room, at the expense of being a bit forward of the house and the posts closest to the house might look a little jarring with a gap behind them. Other option could be four posts but have the two back ones go up to the soffit level and then have a horizontal piece coming out forward of the fascia for a beam to sit on top of, and the canopy would sit on top of this beam.

See attached (red vertical posts against house, blue horizontal on top of red clearing the fascia board by enough to have yellow beam running alongside fascia board for canopy to sit on. Two further red posts would obviously hold the canopy up on the driveway.)

??

Also, how would you attach posts to driveway?

Attachments

• 20231213_115216.jpg
    20231213_115216.jpg
    572.5 KB · Views: 18
Sponsored Links
Reading this thread with interest. Is it intended to park part of a vehicle underneath to protect from frost? Wouldn't mind something like that myself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back