Lintel Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

What type of lintel would you recommended above this doorway, photo attached, concrete or some kind of steel/angle?

Many thanks for your help

Attachments

• 6C19686C-240F-4763-AAD4-B09908290AF3.jpeg
    6C19686C-240F-4763-AAD4-B09908290AF3.jpeg
    410.2 KB · Views: 236
Sponsored Links
I can't tell whether the right hand joist has a cross-over joist on that wall - thus supporting. If it is supporting then a standard box Catnic would do. If not then a standard conc' or even a corrugated door lintel would suffice.

EDIT: Is there a lintel over the inner leaf (t'uther side)?

If not then just fit a standard cavity lintel.

I like how someone has done a lovely job of knocking out the doorway, fitting the door and frame (foamed in too) and then said "oops, perhaps I should have fitted a lintel first". :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Hi thanks for coming back to me.

the other end of the joist sits on a block wall about 2.5m away.

the end above the door stops there and then there is another small joist from the wall above the door aCross to wall in the hall, just over a metre long.

hopefully that helps, what type do you think might be needed taking that into account?

have uploaded a photo
thanks

Attachments

• B16F9ED6-1861-48A3-9721-BC25BBF9E920.jpeg
    B16F9ED6-1861-48A3-9721-BC25BBF9E920.jpeg
    415.3 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Would it not do the job? The block work is 140 thick and other concrete ones are less?

could you please send us a link to a suitable box Catnic

thanks for your help with this

What's above it. How wide are those blocks. What room is that and is the wall going to be plastered or left as is?

Bedroom/ part of landing above.
140mm wide blocks
Integral Garage conversion Leading to hallway
Stud wall then plastered

thanks

Screw a piece of ply across with some min. 4" screws direct into the block.

Yes. It's one block and a joist.

Ply as a face plate and tight under the joist will secure the block and transfer the slight load of the joist to the adjacent two blocks.

Thanks again.

If using a 140x100x1200 concrete lintel, would you just cut the hole/gap out for it in situe with a hand saw or take the 3 blocks out, put the lintel in and then put the blocks back in?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back