Can't avoid slivers!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 1.2m wide window and 25cm (x40) tiles. I understand that for best effect the tiles need to be fixed symetrical across the window which leaves me with two options.

Option 1. 3 full tiles and 2 end tiles. This will leave me with 3cm slivers up the edges of the window recess but does fit neatly to the side wall (with one full tile to the left and just short of 2 full tiles to the right).

Option 2. 4 full tiles across the window. This avoids the slivers up the sides of the window but leaves me with a 7cm sliver in the right corner and roughly 2 half tiles to the left.
Nevertheless, this option does allow the decal tile to be fitted to the right.

What's the best option? Or is it down to personnal preference?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I think that a 7cm "sliver" in the corner would probably look better than a 3cm around the window. So I vote for option 2.

Well it's none to clear from those pics - there's different sized tiles all over the place. The 7cm sliver looks the same size as the 3cm one.
Hey it looks like that bath is level - have you re-levelled it then?

Sponsored Links
Sorry mate. It looks like IE is shrinking the picture and losing the detail. The picture can be expanded by clicking the icon which pops up in the bottom right when you hover over the image.

The bath is now level :D Only problem now is I have a gap under one side of the bath panel which I have to deal with :rolleyes:
(its a curved bath so tiling is not an option unless I use mosaics)

Ah ok that's better. Does the window have a reveal - do you have to tile inside the window, 90° to the main wall face? If you get my meaning.

Maybe after looking at the pics again, pic A looks cleaner. But that may be because tjhe scale is wrong on the second pic and the 7cm sliver looks too thin.

Yeah well spotted gcol. I measured it up and on the pic the 7cm tile is actually 5cm to scale. It would only be a couple of pixels to correct so I think the images are still a reliable representation.

The window does have a reveal.

I was of the same view that A looked better despite logic saying that that 3cm slivers will look cr@p. Hence the post.

Ah well. Decisions, decisions :confused:

Of the 2 of your suggestions, I think A would look better. Sorry to change my mind.
However, what if you made the tiles centred on the wall so that there was a 22cm tile at either end of the wall. The right side of the window would finish with a full tile and the left would have a 6cm piece. I think that may look a bit better still. You follow?
You'd start tiling from the right window edge, making sure that the tile trim is perfect and then work outwards.

Interesting.

I'll knock together another tile plan, option C :) , and see how it looks (I'll make sure the scales are right this time!!).
I never thought this was an option as I always thought the tiles had to be symmetrical across the window.

Sometimes the wall dimensions just don't "play ball" and you have to go with the lesser evil.
Option A has 2 dodgy areas - either side of the window.
Option B has 2 dodgy areas - either end of the wall.
Option C has 1 dodgy area - to the left of the window.

Option C is the lesser evil in my opinion, but by all means see what it looks like on a layout pic.

TilingOptionc.gif
[/img]

What about this then ... option C. I quite like this option.
Note the different sized grout lines. Just like mine :LOL:

Does anyone else have any opinions?

[Apologies for the oversized images :oops: ]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back