Can't find an empty garage distribution box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying hard to get an empty 4-way garage distribution box, without success. Everyone - including TLC, Screwfix etc - now sell only complete units. I have the RCD and MCBs, so why duplicate what I don't need? Does nobody sell just the boxes any more?

Sponsored Links
Thank you both very much. I was searching online and somehow failed to find these - sorry!

Sponsored Links
ban-all-sheds asked: How come?

Simple - the house wiring had to be extended into an extension, which required a larger consumer unit, so the electricians preferred to supply one complete with new fittings.

How come "ban-all-sheds" BTW? I love 'em! :)

So you're going to take the MCBs and RCD from the old CU, and put them in a new enclosure?

Why not use the enclosure you already have?

How is the garage supplied? Who installed the cable to it?

Do you know what tests you would carry out on the garage installation - what sequence you'd do them in and at what point you would energise it, and for each test do you know what is being measured, why it is important, how you would carry out the test, and with what equipment, and what sort of results you would expect to get if everything was OK?

What will you tell the council will be the way you'll ensure your work complies with Part P?

BTW - I mean this:

banfv7.jpg

not this:

2013_11_12_46_54246b01e1ea95203662.jpg

;)

The existing box won't be used because it is much too large for the job, and of course has no IP rating. I will therefore be using the most appropriate box for the job - a 4-way IP44 rated garage unit.

The electricians will be checking the installation for me before they leave but, even though it's run in 4mm Arctic cable in conduit, it will continue to be a plug-in extension. I just want to be more confident of its safety than the average shed extension, and I'm sure you know what I mean.

I agree with you over those flimsy constructions which take the name of sheds. Mine was designed as an outside office - well built and insulated - and I wouldn't be without it.

The electricians will be checking the installation for me before they leave but, even though it's run in 4mm Arctic cable in conduit, it will continue to be a plug-in extension. I just want to be more confident of its safety than the average shed extension, and I'm sure you know what I mean.

Hmmmmm ?

The existing box won't be used because it is much too large for the job, and of course has no IP rating. I will therefore be using the most appropriate box for the job - a 4-way IP44 rated garage unit.
You'd be better off using your time and money to fix the leaks in your outbuilding. Are you planning to use IP44 rated lights and sockets and switches?

The electricians will be checking the installation for me before they leave but,
Do they know this? Are they going to issue an EIC for it? Are they going to tell the council that they designed and installed it?

even though it's run in 4mm Arctic cable in conduit, it will continue to be a plug-in extension.
What?

What sort of plug? Plugged in where?

What sort of conduit? Where does it run?

Who decided that that was the correct way to run a supply to the garage?

I just want to be more confident of its safety than the average shed extension, and I'm sure you know what I mean.
I know what you think you mean, but I'm curious to know why you think this CU will enhance safety.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back