Can't find how to shut off mains water!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, am doing my nut here.

Trying to locate the mains water supply so I can fit a new tap in the kitchen, but can't find it anywhere (under the sink the tap just has two pipes that descend and disappear into the wall)

I've got a combi boiler, which has six pipes that go in, one of them has a tap, does this (pic below) look like it might be the mains water supply?

Many thanks for any help![/img]

Sponsored Links
There must be one in the road / pavement somewhere, contact your water supplier, they should be able to tell you where it is

thanks for the wizardy fast reply!

Ok, I definitely haven't got one of those, have looked everywhere!

I've got two pipes coming into the house out the concrete with H & C written on the wall, they look like they've got valves of some sort which I can turn 90 degrees with a flat head screwdriver, but nothing happens when I do this (ran the water in a few taps for 5 mins, so can't figure out what they're doing...)

Am I missing something? Flat was built in 1990, so not ancient - have also checked a shared bit where our meters are, but can't find any taps at all there...

Sponsored Links
hi the mains stop cock has to be whithin your property, look in in all kitchen cupboards, hall cupboard, understairs , but it will be there somewhere good luck, best place to check to see if you have turned off supply is the kitchen tap as this will be full mains pressure

Those in the pic are isolator valves, the sort used for isolating the water feed to sink taps....
Sometimes the stopcock is in the bathroom or cloakroom - there's nearly sure to be one!
Failing that, it could be in the road or path, between the water meter and the property.
Perhaps you could ask a neighbour where their stopcock is?
John :)

You could ask your neighbour where their one is, as yours should be in the same place.

Andy

Ah found it behind a fake skirting board in a cupboard, was like the da vinci code following all these pipes and valves - knew I'd either end up at the stop cock or in a secret lair inside the Vatican.... ;o)

Thanks for all your kind help!

Now just need to figure how the heck I'm gonna get these taps off, can barely reach under the sink to the nuts!

well thats an easy one you need to buy a Basin Spanner also known as a CrowsFoot Spanner available from all good DIY
Rich

then all you do is use spanner in a verticle position giving you more room and not smashing your knuckles so much :)

Rich

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back