Can't Find my Stopcock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need to replace the mixer tap in my kitchen and as a result need to switch of the water supply.

Unfortunately I have not been able to find the stopcock. So far, I have tried looking under the sink (no stopcock there). I have looked under the kitchen floor (there was a valve which I turned clockwise but it did not shut water off. I have also traced the pipes back to my combi boiler but could not see any valve.

Does anyone know where else I could look or tell me the best way to find it.

Please let me know if you need anymore info.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Any sign of anything in the bathroom?
Traditionally around here, the water main was in direct line with the front door of the property but of course this guarantees nothing.
Are there any neighbours you could ask? Maybe a pic of the tap you did find could help.
John :)

I'm pretty sure it is not in the bathroom as we stripped the bathroom to a shell and installed a new suite and I don't recall seeing any valves and there are no visible ones now.

I traced the pipes under the kitchen sink (located at back of the house and in line with front door) to the cellar and they join in two locations. The pipes at one of the joins lead back to the combi boiler and I could not see a valve when I checked. Under this join there is a thicker pipe and that runs back towards the front door. This pipe disappears through a hole in the wall but I have not checked what is at the other side of the wall.

If memory serves me correctly, the plumber who done work previously turned the water off under the house (worst plumber ever by the way and I had a major falling out with them over the dodgy jobs they done so will not be contacting them ever again).

SHould I trace this pipe back to the front of house and see if the stopcock is on that one?

Stopcocks are sometimes by the front door under the floorboards (in older houses). Do you have a downstairs loo? Could be there. What about in the street, can you turn that one off? As burnerman suggests, asking a neighbour normally helps.

Sponsored Links
I will check under the floor at the front door and get back to you.

THanks for the suggestions so far.

When you have found your awkward, poorly located or stiff stopcock - minimise problems by fitting an Autostopcock (www.autostopcock.co.uk). Not only will it automatically protect your property from excessive damage by water from burst pipes, freezing or forgetting to turn off the water it will allow you to turn off the water with the press of a switch! Low cost, battery powered, easily installed 24/7 peace of mind.

I'm pretty sure it is not in the bathroom as we stripped the bathroom to a shell and installed a new suite and I don't recall seeing any valves and there are no visible ones now.

Glad you have found it. Everyone should know where their's is in case of a bad leak!

But how did you replace your bathroom without being able to turn off the water?

Tony

Glad you have found it. Everyone should know where their's is in case of a bad leak!

But how did you replace your bathroom without being able to turn off the water?

Tony

You never "snatched" a bath before :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back